My formula returns a result but the cell displays a zero?

  1. #1
    Excel User
    Guest

    My formula returns a result but the cell displays a zero?

    I have a simple formula subtracting one cell from another using =SUM(XX,
    -XX). When I click on fx and bring up the function arguments box, the
    formula result is displayed correctly in that box. However, the cell
    containing the formula will only display a zero. I have tried reformatting
    the cells to no avail. I have also tried getting a result using =XX-XX and
    that does not work either.

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor

    result but the cell displays a zero

    hi
    try
    =SUM(XX,(-XX)

    -via135

    Quote Originally Posted by Excel User

  3. #3
    John Michl
    Guest

    Re: My formula returns a result but the cell displays a zero?

    According to your formula, you are subtracting something (XX) from
    itself (XX) which will always equal zero. Out of curiosity, why use
    the SUM function. Isn't it easier to just type the equation such as...

    = A1 - A2

    - John Michl

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor

    result but the cell displays a zero

    sorry! ")" omitted!

    correct one!
    =SUM(XX,(-XX))

    -via135

    Quote Originally Posted by via135
    hi
    try
    =SUM(XX,(-XX)

    -via135

  5. #5
    Excel User
    Guest

    Re: My formula returns a result but the cell displays a zero?

    I did try that and it still return a zero value in the actual cell, although
    as before, if I open the function arguments pop up box, the correct value is
    listed there.
    Any other ideas why a function result would display correctly in the
    arguments box but a completely different number display in the cell itself?

  6. #6
    Sloth
    Guest

    RE: My formula returns a result but the cell displays a zero?

    You might get better responses if you post the following

    1. Values of Referenced Cells
    2. Formula you are using
    3. Actual Result
    4. Desired Result

    Example:
    A1: 34
    B1: 12
    C1: =SUM(A1-B1)
    outputs 6, but is supposed to output 22.

    In which case I would tell you to check the formats of each cell, and ask
    you why you were using the SUM function.

  7. #7
    Excel User
    Guest

    Re: My formula returns a result but the cell displays a zero?

    The XX's were just examples and I have tried it the way you suggested below
    with the same result:
    =C60-C238 still displays a $0.00 in the cell although the actual result is
    $6,709.48

  8. #8
    PCLIVE
    Guest

    Re: My formula returns a result but the cell displays a zero?

    Is there any special number formatting in your cell. Try setting it to
    General. Right-click cell, select 'Format Cells'. On the Number tab, set
    to General.
    Any change?

    Paul

    news:[email protected]...

  9. #9
    John Michl
    Guest

    Re: My formula returns a result but the cell displays a zero?

    Sounds like a formating issue. Click the cell that doesn't display
    correctly then clear the formatting via Edit > Clear > Formats.

    If you see the number, try reformatting.

    - John Michl

  10. #10
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: My formula returns a result but the cell displays a zero?

    Format to General as PCLIVE suggests.

    However, this by itself will not do the trick because the numbers are text.

    After formatting to Generql, copy a blank cell then select your other cells and
    Paste Special>Add>OK>Esc.

    This forces them to numbers.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  11. #11
    Aaron
    Guest

    RE: My formula returns a result but the cell displays a zero?

    Hi

    I'm having exactly the same problem, although with a slightly more
    complicated formula. The formula is this: SUMIF('July
    06'!$K$3:$K$36,'Report'!$A$24,'July 06'!$R$3:$R$36), the idea being to get a
    sum of column R if the name in A24 appears in column K. The only result this
    formula is displaying is 0, but in the arguments box it gives the correct
    answer of 43. adding, subtracting, dividing etc. anything to this cell gives
    a result of 0, eg formula + 10 will show 0, dividing something by this
    result, instead of showing div/0 will show 0. I've tried every format
    available, copied it to different cells etc, but will only display the 0
    result. Any ideas other than what's been mentioned?

    Thanks

  12. #12
    India
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Re: My formula returns a result but the cell displays a zero?

    In Excel 2007, go to the "formulas' tab, go to 'Calculation Options' and under that select 'Automatic'

  13. #13
    USA
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: My formula returns a result but the cell displays a zero?

    I realize this is an old post but wanted to share my findings. This, for me anyway, was a circular reference error. You can find it through the "Formulas" tab under error checking. It will show you the cell to correct.