Lookup or Summing problem

  1. #1
    New Zealand

    Smile Lookup or Summing problem

    Sorry if my topic is confusing but I am confused myself.

    What i have is a list of names and hours worked in 2 cols.
    Col1.................Col2
    John .................8
    Peter ................5
    John ................2
    Jake ................1
    John ................4
    Jake ................10

    What I want to be able to do is on another sheet, get it to automatically grab the first name on the list and total all hours in that list for that employee. I dont care if it has to be alphabetically sorted etc. Then go down the list and grab the next name and total hours. Because of the way I have done my list the employee names and hours could be anywhere up and down the list.

    The result would be something like:
    John 14
    Peter 5
    Jake 11

    I imagine I would have quite a few lines of names and hours as we operate 24/7 with 3 shifts and around 30 employees who may make work muliple shifts.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks

    Dwayne
    Last edited by Dwayne; 01-18-2006 at 05:40 PM.

  2. #2
    BSantos
    Guest

    RE: Lookup or Summing problem

    Highlight the data and do a pivot table. in the layout you should have

    row = Name column
    data = hours

    This will take all of the same names and add the hours up for each name. You
    can do this also if you had dates in another column and add that to the row.

    row = name
    row = date
    data = hours

    You will see all the dates that person worked and it will give you a
    grandtotal for that person.

    Hope that helps! Bonnie