IF formula's

  1. #1
    alice
    Guest

    IF formula's

    Hi

    I have been using IF formulas in my spreadsheets a lot, but it's always with
    specific data in a cell.

    Is it possible to have an IF formula that will enter a number in A1 if ANY
    info is put into A2?

    Thanks
    Alice

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Hi Alice,

    I think that it can be done, but you say ANY info - does this mean numbers, text anything or something in particular? You can set an IF statement in A1 to trigger if anything is entered into A2 or you can do the same thing if something specific is entered into A2:

    In A1 enter the following

    =if(a2="","","120")

    Make sure that the quotes do not have any spaces between them
    This will trigger the number 120 to appear in A1 as soon as ANYTHING is entered into A2. You can experiment around with this to get it to do what you are after

    Regards
    Jon Q

  3. #3
    Dave O
    Guest

    Re: IF formula's

    How about
    IF(A2<>"",Your number,0)

    The English translation is "if A2 is not blank, enter my number; if it
    is blank, enter zero."

  4. #4
    Sloth
    Guest

    RE: IF formula's

    You could use a formula like this in A1

    =IF(ISBLANK(A2),"",some number)

    replace "some number" with the number you want. As long as A2 is blank, A1
    will be also. It won't actually be blank in excel terms, but it will look
    like it.