Adding a column

  1. #1

    Adding a column

    Can someone give me a formula (or whatever its called) to add a column that would be set like this:

    A1=3000
    A2=6200
    A3=2250 (1625)
    A4=10500
    A5=6600 (4566)
    etc.

    If there is only one number in cell it is counted, if 2, then the one in parentheses is the only one of the 2 counted.

    Thanx

  2. #2
    Ken Johnson
    Guest

    Re: Adding a column

    Hi roger,
    This is an array formula so commit with Ctrl+Shift+Enter, also edit the
    addresses so that all of your column A data are included rather than
    the first five only, but don't use A:A.

    =SUM(IF(ISERROR(FIND("(",A1:A5)),A1:A5,VALUE(MID(A1:A5,FIND("(",A1:A5)
    +1,LEN(A1:A5)-(FIND("(",A1:A5) +1)))))

    Ken Johnson

  3. #3

    Re: Adding a column

    Sorry, newbie here, you've lost me in the not using the range A1:A5...how do I do it without A:A?

  4. #4
    Ken Johnson
    Guest

    Re: Adding a column

    Hi Roger,
    It's an array formula and they don't work on entire column (or row)
    addresses such as A:A.
    You can however us A1:A65535 which is all of column A bar the last row.
    Or, if you know the last row in column A that your data uses then you
    can use that row number in the address. eg last value is in row 27500
    then use A1:A27500, but it's probably easier to use the "all bar last
    row" option
    Ken Johnson

  5. #5
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Adding a column

    Unless you like to drink coffee while you watch your worksheet calculate, it
    would not be advisable to address more rows than you need to when using
    array formulas.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Adding a column

    Nothing like testimony to bolster the point: From a very recent post
    subject Help Needed with Sumproduct

    >Yeah, I just noticed that I defaulted from rows 2 to 65,535. I limited
    >the scope and the refreshes sped up, although calculations still take
    >longer than I would think is necessary.

    Even though this user is using Sumproduct and sumproduct does not require
    array entry, it is nonetheless an array formula.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:%[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Ken Johnson
    Guest

    Re: Adding a column

    Hi Tom,
    Thanks again, my experience of array formulas is very limited. I've
    never actually used one myself. It's nice to know the pitfalls. Let's
    hope Roger does not heed my recommended "easy" option!
    Ken Johnson