validation question

  1. #1

    validation question

    I Have a problem when formatting cekks to accept a drop down list via data
    validation.
    For some reason the cells do not display the drop down menu..

    Going in to the cell all appears OK - i have used this function many times
    before.

    Is there something obvious i may have missed .??

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    The drop down is available when you select the "List" validation.

    If you have chosen the "List" validation, then ensure the "In-cell drop-down" checkbox is checked, otherwise there will be no drop down available.

  3. #3
    Govind
    Guest

    Re: validation question

    Hi,

    If you are using Data->Validation, then the drop down appears only if
    you click on the cell and if not , it looks like a normal cell.

    If you always want the dropdown to be displayed, try inserting a combox
    box from the Forms Toolbar.

    Regards

    Govind.

  4. #4

    Re: validation question

    Incell drop down ticked..
    I have used this function many times before, the strange thing being that it
    works fine on other pages within the workbook..

    Feel i have something swithced off in options or view but cannot see
    anything that works..

  5. #5
    Max
    Guest

    Re: validation question

    "G" wrote
    > ... Incell drop down ticked..
    > I have used this function many times before,
    > the strange thing being that it works fine on other pages
    > within the workbook..
    > Feel i have something switched off in options or view
    > but cannot see anything that works..

    Are you using Excel 97?
    Just to share some thoughts .. (no solution to offer, sorry).
    I've experienced this phenomena before in Excel 97 (my ver)
    One particular sheet just went "poof" one fine day while working in Excel.
    All existing DV droplists just plain disappeared. And new DVs created
    stubbornly refused to show the droplists in the sheet. Had no choice then
    but to revert to my last back-up (in which the existing DVs still worked in
    that particular sheet), and recover / re-work from there ( .. was thankful I
    did the back-ups .. )
    --
    Max
    Singapore

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: validation question

    If you had some code for deleting shapes, it is possible that you deleted
    the arrow shape inadvertently.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Max
    Guest

    Re: validation question

    Bob, I couldn't help having a deja vu` feeling <g>,
    re - similar discussions with Dave Peterson in 6/2004:
    http://tinyurl.com/d3las
    (.. and I swear there wasn't any code in use)

  8. #8
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: validation question

    Hi Max,

    So did I when I read this. Dave and I also had a discussion in Mar 2005

    http://tinyurl.com/de4cx

    Not a solution IAF, but a way to ensure your code doesn't cause it.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  9. #9

    Re: validation question

    If if you're using xl97 and that cell with the dropdown validation is above the
    window|freeze panes, then that could be the problem, too.

  10. #10

    RE: validation question

    Hi All,

    I'm afraid it remains a mystery. No hidden code nothing sneaky (that I could
    see anyway) FYI i am using 2003.

    I resolved the issue by copying the sheet and starting again...

    Perhaps we'll nver know !!!

  11. #11
    Max
    Guest

    Re: validation question

    "Bob Phillips" wrote:
    > .. Dave and I also had a discussion in Mar 2005

    *> http://tinyurl.com/de4cx

    Yes, I do recollect that thread .. strung along a bit later there

    > Not a solution IAF, but a way to ensure your code doesn't cause it.

    The precautions/code offered are well taken, and appreciated.

    Thankfully, this "event" hasn't recurred since to me (touch wood ..). It'll
    be great though, if there was code available which could re-instate the
    "lost" DV dropdown functionality in the sheet, whatever its underlying
    cause(s) may be.
    ---

  12. #12
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: validation question

    "Max" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Bob Phillips" wrote:
    > > .. Dave and I also had a discussion in Mar 2005

    > *> http://tinyurl.com/de4cx

    > Thankfully, this "event" hasn't recurred since to me (touch wood ..).

    It'll
    > be great though, if there was code available which could re-instate the
    > "lost" DV dropdown functionality in the sheet, whatever its underlying
    > cause(s) may be.

    Unfortunately that is the thing that nobody has been able to do AFAIK.

  13. #13
    Max
    Guest

    Re: validation question