How to prevent user to copy excel file to their own pc

  1. #1

    Exclamation How to prevent user to copy excel file to their own pc

    I'm using Excel as my database. User access to the Excel database by using another Excel I've created using macro. Basically it means, I have one database called (CFS_database.xls) and another main screen to access to the CFS_database (called "Main.xls").

    When user edit the database through Main.xls, it will open the CFS_database and do all the editing by using the form I've created. These 2 excel files are share among users.

    Even though they have full access to the file, how can I prevent them from copying CFS_database to their own pc by using macro VBA?

    PLEASE HELP...

  2. #2

    Re: How to prevent user to copy excel file to their own pc

    I don't think you can stop any one if they really want to get the file. Excel's
    protection just isn't made for that.

    Maybe you could save the database file as a hidden file and have the main.xls
    file open (and close it) when the main.xls file opens (and closes).

    And if you give the database file a password to open (file|saveAs|Tools), then
    maybe it'll stop most from trying to copy the database file.

    (And if you save the database file as a hidden workbook, it might even be
    better.)

    But be prepared to answer questions like why is the file locked by someone
    else--I checked their pc and I didn't see it open!

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    I was just considering this problem myself. There must be some way to prevent a user finding your excel file and just simply copying and pasting elsewhere?

    I've been working on a large invoicing project for our business for a while now, and i'd hate to thing that an employee could take it home to either use themselves or try and crack at a later date. I've had toooooo many long nights to let that happen!

  4. #4
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: How to prevent user to copy excel file to their own pc

    When you save under tools there is an option called general option where you
    can set a password for opening the file, it can still be cracked using
    commercial software but it is harder for the average user

    Peo Sjoblom

    http://nwexcelsolutions.com

    "chris100" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Forum Contributor
    The problem is if the file is copied and taken away. That password option only works if someone doesn't know it!
    Someone who uses the file must know the password to access it, but if they are maliciously minded they could take the file home and play with it to their hearts content.....