I need a formula

  1. #1
    jimar
    Guest

    I need a formula

    I have 3 columns. I need to put a date into either column 1 or column 2.
    There will never be a date in both columns on the same row. In column 3 I
    would like it to have a forumula that will allow for "letter" to be displayed
    if there is a date in Col 1, "Follow up" if there is a date in column 2 and
    "No Reply" if there is no date in col 1 or 2. Can anyone help?

    Thanks

  2. #2

    RE: I need a formula

    "jimar" wrote:
    > There will never be a date in both columns on the same row.
    > In column 3 I would like it to have a forumula that will allow
    > for "letter" to be displayed if there is a date in Col 1, "Follow
    > up" if there is a date in column 2 and "No Reply" if there is
    > no date in col 1 or 2. Can anyone help?

    =IF(A1<>"", "Letter", IF(B1<>"", "Follow up", "No reply"))

    Note that that does not test specifically for a date, but simply
    whether or not the cells are empty. Do you truly need to
    distinguish between a cell with a date versus a cell with a
    different value or text?

  3. #3
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    Assuming your columns are A & B then in C2

    =IF(ISNUMBER(A2),"Letter",IF(ISNUMBER(B2),"Follow up","No reply"))

  4. #4
    jimar
    Guest

    RE: I need a formula