Cross worksheet find and paste

  1. #1

    Cross worksheet find and paste

    I have a workbook with multiple worksheets in it. I have to consolidate an updated value into the primary worksheet from new versions of the other worksheets daily.
    The primary sheet is formated as such

    ID Name OldValue NewValue
    idnum Jhon 402 340

    the other worksheets have a corresponding ID column and a value colum, I just need to loop through all the ID's in the id column in sheet A, find that idnum in worksheet B, select the value from worksheet B, and paste it into NewValue on worksheet A.

    I imagine its pretty straightforward, I apoligize in advance for my ignorance.

    Thanks for your help

    - Kevin J

  2. #2
    Crowbar via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: Cross worksheet find and paste

    You can use vlookup which will update the sheet in real time rather than
    running a macro to update it

    This is what I would do:

    Go to sheet B, lets say that column A is your ID numbers and column B is the
    value that you want put into sheet A

    i.e.

    A B
    id 71454 1000

    Highlight column A and B together

    Just above column A is a white box that should say A1 when you have
    highlighted the columns

    Click this box and type:

    idvalue

    now go to sheet A and click on a cell that you want o update the value then

    enter

    =vlookup(A1,idvalue,2,false)

    You may need to change this to suit your form

    What it does is lookup whats in A1 on your sheet

    Then it looks for the range we have called "idvalue" and searches for the
    same value in their

    Then it moves to the cell to the right of it (thats what the 2 is for, it
    might be the cell after that you want if it is then change this number to 3
    etc)

  3. #3

    thanks for the response

    looks like that will work for this part, thanks again

    - Kevin J
    Last edited by TheIconoclast; 01-25-2006 at 02:03 PM.

  4. #4
    Crowbar via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: Cross worksheet find and paste

    Have you tried changing the 5 to a 4?

    Send it to me

    [email protected]

    I will sort the code so it works and you can take it from there

  5. #5
    no need, its working fine, thanks though.

    as an aside, is there any way to use vlookup in conjunction with something else to do a lookup in a table that has the values in a column that is to the left of the idnumber (i.e. values are in B and id number is in H)?

    - Kevin J

  6. #6
    Tim Williams
    Guest

    Re: Cross worksheet find and paste

    You might be able to use MATCH() and OFFSET()

    Tim

    --
    Tim Williams
    Palo Alto, CA

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Crowbar via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: Cross worksheet find and paste

    Yes

    I would put the idnumber in column A, Column B & C are the data you want to
    lookup

    highlight ALL three columns together and give then a range

    go to the other sheet that also contains the idnumber information (not range)
    also in column A

    if you want vlookup to find the column b data then =vlookup(a1,range,2,false)

    if it was column C you would use =vlookup(a1,range,3,false)