Tab formating

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor

    Tab formating

    I need to label tabs with numbers (123, 345, 874, etc) but I need them formatted for lookup purposes as text i.e. in a cell I'd enter '123, '345, '874, etc.

    Is this possible?

    Thanks for any ideas.

  2. #2
    dan
    Guest

    RE: Tab formating

    Why? Do you need to be able to go to a tab based on the contents of a cell?

    Please clarify the context as I have a couple of ideas

  3. #3
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Tab formating

    Hi Rob,
    The tabs are text, there is no getting around that so there is
    no problem using them as text in a lookup. Perhaps if you
    give a bit of code where you have a problem we could help you
    better. In other words you can usually try something faster
    than asking a question and waiting for an answer. In any case
    converting to numbers or to next shouldn't be a big deal. (Though
    importing a CSV file appears to be an exception.)

    obtain worksheet name
    =MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1))+1,255)
    or in VBA
    SheetName = Application.Caller.Parent.Name

    see " Examples of assigning a sheetname" on my
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/sheets.htm

    Your question is being answered in a newsgroup. Having to filter out
    such sites as you are using makes web searches a more difficult.
    ---
    HTH,

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    The problem arises when importing an ASCII file which contains the balances from a General Ledger in trial balance format, and also the account reference which is alpha-numeric (some of the GL accounts have a small alpha suffix).

    Each GL account has a sheet in the workbook with the tab corresponding to the GL account reference. I'm doing an indirect lookup on sheets checking the sheet balances against the trial balance. Hence the problem: the TB is in alphanumeric format and the tabs are in number format.

    If I can format the tab numbers as 'text' numbers end of problem.

    Thanks

  5. #5
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Tab formating

    The tabs are text, try trimming your worksheet values
    and trim your tab values before you create them.
    ---