copying formulae along rows.

  1. #1
    Richard Hocking
    Guest

    copying formulae along rows.

    Hi, I'm trying to set up a sheet with the formula ='Sheet1'!E2 in the first
    cell.
    I would like to be able to copy this to all cells along the row, so that it
    increases to ='Sheet1'!E3 then to E4... E5... etc etc. I've tried using
    absolute $ signs, but only seem to be able to get the number part to increase
    when copying down the column, not across the row! And, conversely, only the
    letter part increases along the row (E2... F2.. G2 etc) if I don't use the
    $ sign. Any ideas gratefully received, otherwise I have nearly 1000 copy /
    pastes plus changing numbers to do!!

    Thanks, Richard.

  2. #2
    vezerid
    Guest

    Re: copying formulae along rows.

    Richard,
    A $ before either the letter or the number will keep this part of the
    cell reference unchanged when you copy, i.e. it is an *absolute*
    reference.

    If you want to make a copy of Sheet1!E1:E1000 to Sheet2!A1:A1000, then
    your formula in A1:

    =Sheet1!E1

    should work properly. When you copy to A2, it should change
    automatically to =Sheet1!E2. If you copy to B1 instead, it should
    change to =Sheet1!F1.

    Now, from what you say, you have data in columns but you want to
    transfer them to rows, otherwise I don't see how your experimentation
    would have proved fruitless. Beware that Excel has 60000+ rows but only
    256 columns.

    If you want to copy columns to rows you can use:
    Select and Edit|Copy
    Select first cell of destination and Edit|Paste Special... and click
    the Transpose checkbox.

    Does this help?
    Kostis Vezerides

  3. #3
    Pogue
    Guest

    RE: copying formulae along rows.

    The cheat I would do is to copy it down 1,000 rows, then select all 1,000
    cells and cop/paste special and then click the transpose button.

    Actually I just tried it and it worked, except you can't paste it starting
    on the same column you are copying from - move it over 1 column.

  4. #4

    RE: copying formulae along rows

    Richard-

    You can use the TRANSPOSE function

    Assume that the values you want copied into row 1 of sheet 2 are in column 1
    of sheet 1. Say you have 10 values in cells A1 through A10. On sheet 2 cell
    A1 put:

    =TRANSPOSE($A$1:$A$10) where $A$1:$A$10 is your actual range

    This will have to be entered using ctrl-shift-enter because it is an array function

    Copy that formula across the row until you have it in as many columns as you
    had rows to begin with. With all of those cells highlighted hit F2 and then
    ctrl-shift-enter and the values will be pasted. Any changes you make in
    sheet 1 will be reflected in sheet 2.

    Is this what you are looking for? I hope I explained it well enough.

  5. #5
    Richard Hocking
    Guest

    RE: copying formulae along rows.

    Just had a play around, it works! Great stuff, you've saved me hours!

    Cheers,

    Richard.

  6. #6
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: copying formulae along rows.

    I am baffled.

    How can you Transpose 1000 rows to 256 columns?

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP