Formula to sum total numbers with dashes in them

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor

    Formula to sum total numbers with dashes in them

    Need formula in cell D20 to sum total numbers with dashes in them. For example:

    In cells D7 thru D16
    D16 | 450-33-6320
    D17 | 83-0381086
    D18 | 459-15-6027
    D19 | 75-2708781

    In cell D20 | 2,492,582,214 Control total

    Thanks a million, mikeburg

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Formula to sum total numbers with dashes in them

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(SUBSTITUTE(D16:D19,"-","")))

    Bob Phillips

    "mikeburg" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Formula to sum total numbers with dashes in them

    On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 16:00:37 -0600, mikeburg
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Need formula in cell D20 to sum total numbers with dashes in them. For
    >example:
    >
    >In cells D7 thru D16
    >D16 | 450-33-6320
    >D17 | 83-0381086
    >D18 | 459-15-6027
    >D19 | 75-2708781
    >
    >In cell D20 | 2,492,582,214 Control total
    >
    >Thanks a million, mikeburg

    The **array** formula:

    =SUM(--SUBSTITUTE(D16:D19,"-",""))

    Excel will place braces {...} around the formula.

    If blank cells may be in the range, then use this *array* formula instead:

    =SUM(--SUBSTITUTE(0 & rng, "-",""))

    --ron

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    Thanks so very much. I wish I was as good as you guys! mikeburg