Closed Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Catentate or cotentate

  1. #1
    MYA
    Guest

    Catentate or cotentate

    I am sorry if I am spelling the term incorrectly. There is a function in
    Excel where you can combine or seperate names. For example in spreadsheet
    colum each cell has the first and last name of a person and one needs to
    separate them so that the first name appears in one column and the last name
    in the oter column cell. Also if one needs to combine the two cell names in
    to one cell. Help appreicated.

  2. #2
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    You can use the concatenate function to join text fron two cells in one, e.g. if you have "John" in A1 and "Smith" in B1 use this formula in C1

    =CONCATENATE(A1," ",B1)

    or you can achieve the same with & i.e.

    =A1&" "&B1

    If you want to do the reverse, separate text in one cell into two, then look at using Data > Text to Columns

  3. #3

    Re: Catentate or cotentate

    =Concatenate() combines things together.

    =concatenate(a1,b9)
    or
    =concatenate(a1," ",b9)

    But you can use the & (ampersand) operator, too:

    =a1&b9
    =a1&" "&b9

    To split stuff up, you can use formulas that look for the space between words or
    you can use a non-formula approach: Data|Text to columns.

    =LEFT(A1,SEARCH(" ",A1)-1)
    will pick off the stuff in A1 before the first space character.
    =MID(A1,SEARCH(" ",A1)+1,LEN(A1))
    will pick up the stuff after the first space character.

    If you have a whole column of two word cells to split, data|text to columns is
    pretty quick!

  4. #4
    nrowey
    Guest

    Re: Catentate or cotentate

    Try <Data> <Text to columns> to split names appart. Use <Concatenate>
    Function to Join, or use =A1&" "&A2 to join with a space between.

    --
    nroweyPosted from - http://www.officehelp.in

Closed Thread