+ Reply to Thread

Help to understand "IF" code

Unhappy Help to understand "IF" code

Hello all,
    This is the first time in here. I have a question about a line of code which has today() and weekday() in it. Can someone explain this for me so that I may understand it better? The person who did it can't explain it so hopefully you can. Thanks in advance.

=IF(E8="HO","HO",IF(E5=12,"X",IF((TODAY()+1)>E6,IF((WEEKDAY(E6,2)>5),"",IF(E8="OT","OT",IF(E9="FH",8,IF(E5=11,8,9)))),"")))

JC

Forum Expert
    MS-Off Ver
    =IF(E8="HO","HO",IF(E5=12,"X",IF((TODAY()+1)>E6,IF ((WEEKDAY(E6,2)>5),"",IF(E8="OT","OT",IF(E9="FH",8 ,IF(E5=11,8,9)))),"")))

Today() is a function which returns today's date

Weekday is a function which returns the day in a week from 1 to7 , the 2 parameter just means that monday is 1 through to sunday is 7

So if E8 equals HO return HO
    Else if E5 equals 12 return X
    Else if tomorrow (today +1) is greater than E6 and E6 is a Friday return blank
    Else if tomorrow (today +1) is greater than E6 and E8 equals OT return OT
    Else if Else if tomorrow (today +1) is greater than E6 and E9 equals FH return 8
    Else if tomorrow (today +1) is greater than E6 and E5 equals 11 return 8
    Else if tomorrow (today +1) is greater than E6 Return 9
    Else return blank

it is probably worth populating the cells E5 E6 E8 E9 and checking if the above logic holds. Nested if statements are not easy to read in excel especially if you did not write them in the first place!

Hope this helps

Dav

Return blank

Dav,
    Thanks for your help in understanding the formula. The way you put it, it makes more sense to me. I now want to modify this formula and now that I understand it more I should be able to do it.

James

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information