How do I sort or compare data from 2 different spreadsheet columns

  1. #1
    bectayers
    Guest

    How do I sort or compare data from 2 different spreadsheet columns

    I am trying to simplify the process for identifying 'like' items used on
    different MODELS of the same Basic PRODUCT. For example say: O-ring #12345 -
    is used on SUPER VAC I(1ea) - and used on SUPER VAC II(3ea) - and used on
    SUPER VAC III(4ea). I am starting with a different spreadsheet for each
    MODEL# that include comumns for PART NUMBER, DESCRIPTION, COST and QUANTITY,
    and what I am looking to create is a single spreadsheet for each BASIC
    ASSEMBLY (SUPER VACS) with all the part numbers listed. Since the
    description and cost of each part would stay the same, how can I consolidate
    the data into one spreadsheet per Assembly, sorted by Part Number,
    consolidating the duplicate part #'s into one row each that not only includes
    'description' and 'cost', but also includes a column for each 'where used'
    'and 'quantity'? I am using Microsoft Excell 2000.

  2. #2
    Forum Expert
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    1,500
    If you wanted to avoid macro, I would paste both lots of data onto the same sheet in the same columns. If U then create a new column called product and copy the product description next to the parts it relates to.

    you can then run a pivot table, select all the data
    Choose PART NUMBER, DESCRIPTION, COST as row headings,
    product as column headings
    Quantity as data (it should default to sum which is fine)
    A new table will be created, if you then click on any of the totals they will be highlighted and can be deleted

    If you select the whole table then copy it as values elsewhere, you have a table that can be updated an dis not dependent upon data

    I hope this is clearish, if not please get back in touch

    Have fun

    Dav

  3. #3
    bectayers
    Guest

    Re: How do I sort or compare data from 2 different spreadsheet col

    Dav, thanks! I'll give it a try