Blank (empty) cell always equal to 0??

  1. #1

    Blank (empty) cell always equal to 0??

    Is it possible to have Excel read an empty cell as "no value" rather than the value=0?
    I have a graph and corresponding range with values and somtimes cells in this range should be read as a "blank" cell! Resulting in no point in the graph.
    Assume that I have, in cell C5, the following function:
    IF(AND(ISNUMBER($A5);ISNUMBER($B$4));$A5*$B$4;" ").
    If, in cell A5, I have "-" (a dash) = no value (no reading), this will result in C5 being a Blank cell, due to the " " in the IF-function.
    C5 is copied and pasted into the range connected to my graph. I want it to result in no point in the graph!
    But the graph is reading this cell as if the value was 0.0!
    Is there a way to avoid this??
    Your help is very much appreciated.

  2. #2

    Re: Blank (empty) cell always equal to 0??

    I'd add another column and use a formula like:

    =if(b2="",na(),b2)
    then use that column in the chart.

  3. #3
    Sloth
    Guest

    Re: Blank (empty) cell always equal to 0??

    why add another column, when you can just replace " " with NA()?

  4. #4

    Re: Blank (empty) cell always equal to 0??

    Sometimes, the look of the data is important and #n/a's are pretty ugly. And
    sometimes those values could be used in other formulas and errors could mess up
    those subsequent formulas.

    They could be hidden with format|Conditional formatting, though. And other
    formulas could be rewritten to avoid the errors.

    (I'd just hide the whole helper column after I made the chart.)

    But your post does show a problem with my formula.

    I didn't notice that the OP used " " (I always use "" (no space)).

    And the OP uses a semicolon instead.

    I think that this formula is better:

    =if(trim(b2)="";na();b2)

    But I'd actually change the original formula:
    =IF(AND(ISNUMBER($A5);ISNUMBER($B$4));$A5*$B$4;"")

    Those spaces are can be a problem.