tab delimited file n sorting by columns

  1. #1

    tab delimited file n sorting by columns

    i have a prob with some tab delimited files and excel... is there a way i can import them into the excel then sort them to different sheets base on the name column? the tab delimited files do not have a header.

    for ex in the tab delimited files..
    01/01/01 01:01:01 Name1 IN
    01/01/01 01:01:05 Name2 IN
    01/01/01 01:01:10 Name2 OUT
    01/01/01 01:01:15 Name1 OUT

  2. #2

    Re: tab delimited file n sorting by columns

    Try this
    Go to DATA
    Select TEXT TO COLUMNS
    Select DELIMITED option
    check the TAB,SPACE box
    Click finish
    your data would be prased

  3. #3
    oops my bad i forget to mention the tab delimited files are in txt.(notepad type of file) is there a coding or something in which it will take then out n put those in different name into different sheets? (in the same work book) sorry abt this but i m not gd in programming

  4. #4

    Re: tab delimited file n sorting by columns

    Debra Dalgleish and Ron de Bruin have samples that you may like. Ron's addin
    may be sufficient right out of the box.

    Debra's site:

    Create New Sheets from Filtered List -- uses an Advanced Filter to create
    separate sheet of orders for each sales rep visible in a filtered list; macro
    automates the filter. AdvFilterRepFiltered.xls 35 kb

    or

    Update Sheets from Master -- uses an Advanced Filter to send data from
    Master sheet to individual worksheets -- replaces old data with current.
    AdvFilterCity.xls 55 kb

    And Ron de Bruin's easyfilter.
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/easyfilter.htm

  5. #5
    Thx a lot for the samples... they r indeed very helpful...