Weighted Average

  1. #1

    Red face Weighted Average

    I am new to the weighing of numbers using excel. I really need help.
    I am able to do this manually, but I it takes too long. Yes I still use the calculator instead of excel. I am new at this.
    Please help. I need to figure out the Quaterly total of the Average second.
    Manualy, I divide the total of the month and divide it by quaterly total then this number is the multiple by the months average second. And I repeat for all months. I then add and this is where my 0:18 comes from.
    Please help if this makes sense.

    total Average seconds
    October 7,727 - 0:26

    November 6,292 - 0:12

    December 5,468 - 0:14

    Quarterly Total 19,487 - 0:18
    Last edited by phm; 02-02-2006 at 12:46 PM.

  2. #2

    Red face Weighted Average of time

    I am new to the weighing of numbers using excel. I really need help.
    I am able to do this manually, but I it takes too long. Yes I still use the calculator instead of excel. I am new at this.
    Please help. I need to figure out the Quaterly total of the Average second.
    Manualy, I divide the total of the month and divide it by quaterly total then this number is the multiple by the months average second. And I repeat for all months. I then add and this is where my 0:18 comes from.
    Please help if this makes sense.

    first column is the month
    second is the total of calls
    third is the average of minutes per call

    October 7,727 - 0:26

    November 6,292 - 0:12

    December 5,468 - 0:14

    Quarterly Total 19,487 - 0:18
    Last edited by phm; 02-02-2006 at 12:50 PM.

  3. #3
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Weighted Average

    Hi

    There is some information you are not giving here - the total time
    duration for each month.
    Calculating this from the information provided, you must have something
    like

    Month Total Calls Total Time Average Time
    October 7,727 2009.02 0.26
    November 6,292 755.04 0.12
    December 5,468 765.62 0.14

    To get the overall average for the quarter take the total time and
    divide by the total calls

    =Sum(C2:C4) /SUM(B2:B4) or 3259.58/19487 = 0.1811

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4

    Re: Weighted Average

    "phm" wrote:
    > first column is the month[,] second is the total of calls
    > third is the average of minutes per call
    > October 7,727 - 0:26
    > November 6,292 - 0:12
    > December 5,468 - 0:14
    > Quarterly Total 19,487 - 0:18

    I assume the last column is entered in the form mm:ss.
    I have trouble making Excel do the right thing with that
    format; probably my mistake. But the following should
    help you with the concept, if not the solution.

    If you are content to enter the third column in seconds,
    assuming the table above is in A1:C3, the average is:

    =sumproduct(B1:B3,C1:C3) / sum(B1:B3)