deleting products

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor

    deleting products

    I have a list of products with a corresponding trade value. e.g:

    Product Code Trade Value (£)
    01 100
    02 245
    03 453
    04 546
    05 6756
    06 980
    07 2435
    08 346356
    09 4235
    10 45
    11 476
    12 356
    13 3566
    14 588

    Now i also have a list of product Exceptions-these are 6-digits long, but the first 2-digits correspond to the above numbers. e.g:

    Product Val(£)
    012657 10
    013458 5
    014456 6
    024565 3
    025455 12
    034345 20

    and so on.

    I want to create a new list that subtracts the 6-digit values from the 2 digit values. So for product 01 the calculation would be 100-10-5-6=79. The new table would look like:

    Product Val
    01 79
    02 230
    03 433

    etc

    Is there a formula to do this, thanks for the help.

    Chris

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: deleting products

    Assuming the 1st table (product code-trade value) is in Sheet1, the 2nd
    table (product exceptions) is in Sheet2, both within cols A & B, data from
    row2 down
    (The Prod code & Product values in both sheets are assumed text numbers)

    In the sheet for the 3rd table

    > Product Val
    > 01 79
    > 02 230
    > 03 433

    To compute the "Val" in the table:

    Put in B2:
    =VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet1!A:B,2)-
    SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$100,2)=A2),Sheet2!$B$2:$B$100)
    Copy B2 down

    Adapt the ranges to suit:
    Sheet2!$A$2:$A$100
    Sheet2!$B$2:$B$100

    (Note that we can't use entire col refs in SUMPRODUCT)
    --
    Max
    Singapore
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    Max

    Any chance you could post an example.

    Thanks for the help

    Chris

  4. #4
    Max
    Guest

    Re: deleting products

    Slight tweak to the VLOOKUP part ..
    (think its better to search for an exact match, with 4th param = 0)

    So, put instead in B2, copy down:
    =VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet1!A:B,2,0)-
    SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$100,2)=A2),Sheet2!$B$2:$B$100)

    Here's a sample construct:
    http://cjoint.com/?cdxdso01AH
    Deleting_Products_cj21_misc.xls