3Axis Multiple groups with subgroup Bar Chart please help!

  1. #1

    Exclamation 3Axis Multiple groups with subgroup Bar Chart please help!

    Hello all,

    I am doing some science work and I really need a chart that looks like this.

    http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/6...anation7or.gif

    Can someone please please tell me how the hell do I do it. An example worksheet would be excellent! I have gone through hell trying to figure it out with my primitive excel knowledge.

    Thank you in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: 3Axis Multiple groups with subgroup Bar Chart please help!

    Hi,

    Create a normal cluster bar chart based on staggered data.

    A1:=N B1:=4
    A2:=N>C B2:=3
    A3:=N=C B3:=3
    A4:=N C4:=4
    A5:=N>C C5:=4
    A6:=N=C C6:=3
    A7:=N D7:=3
    A8:=N>C D8:=3
    A9:=N=C D9:=4

    Double click one of the bar series and on the Options tab set overlap to
    100. Whilst you are there also add Y Error bars to the series. Repeat
    error bars for the other 2 series.
    Double click the Y axis and plot scale in reverse order to get value
    axis at the top and items reading top to bottom.
    Right click chart and pick Chart Options and apply Major X axis grid
    lines. Double click the Y axis and on the scale tab change the number of
    categories between tickmarks to 3.

    Cheers
    Andy

    The_Fairy wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I am doing some science work and I really need a chart that looks like
    > this.
    >
    > http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/6...anation7or.gif
    >
    > Can someone please please tell me how the hell do I do it. An example
    > worksheet would be excellent! I have gone through hell trying to figure
    > it out with my primitive excel knowledge.
    >
    > Thank you in advance!

    > |Filename: Graph-Explanation.gif |
    > |Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=4329 |

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    Thank you very much for your help. It worked!!

    However I am facing another problem, and I am not sure wether excel can actually do this. The Bar Graphs that were plotted were based on averages of certain values. What I need to do is overlay the points which were used to make the averages over the bar graph. Ie, I need a Pint plot overlay over the bar graphs. this is very important for data distribution in my study. I have included a image and a excel file with some points and I am hoping that someone will be able to help me out with exactly how I am supposed to do that.

    Again, thank you kindly in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files