Checking for duplication on rows

  1. #1

    Checking for duplication on rows

    Hello,

    In a particular spreadsheet, I would like to verify if the same name is listed on multiple rows. The name is entered in multiple columns on the same row, that is acceptable, but I would like to know if the name is entered on multiple rows regardless of the column. How can I check this?

    THANKS,
    karmen

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Checking for duplication on rows

    Presume you're checking some specific names ?
    One way to quickly check is to use autofilter (Data > Filter > Autofilter)
    Select "Custom" from the droplist, then enter/paste the specific name > OK
    Then reset the droplist to "(All)", repeat the check for each col concerned
    --
    Max
    Singapore

  3. #3
    George

    Karmen wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > In a particular spreadsheet, I would like to verify if the same name is
    > listed on multiple rows. The name is entered in multiple columns on the
    > same row, that is acceptable, but I would like to know if the name is
    > entered on multiple rows regardless of the column. How can I check
    > this?
    >
    > THANKS,
    > karmen

    Try using COUNTIF(...) > 1 as a test.

    You can change the ranges in my example to match what you need.

    Lets make the following assumptions
    A1:D20 contains your data
    Column A contains the names you want to check for duplicates
    Column E will contain TRUE for duplicates

    The following will work for single column to be checked.
    Enter this in E1 and copy down to E20
    =COUNTIF($A$1:$A$20,A1)>1

    In your case you may need something like this.
    Enter this in E1 and copy down to E20
    =COUNTIF($A$1:$D$20,A1)>COUNTIF($A1:$D1,A1)
    This checks the whole range count versus the current row count
    Simple but effective.

    Hope it helps
    George