sum cells IF no text present

  1. #1
    LLM
    Guest

    sum cells IF no text present

    Hello,

    I am a novice excel user and I am trying to sum cells, some of which
    have numbers and text, others that have only numbers. I have to add,
    for example: 0.2U, 0.3, 0.1U. Or 0.4U, 0.5U. I need to add only the
    cells that do not contain text. The first example should return a sum
    of 0.3, the second should return 0. Any suggestions?
    LLM

  2. #2
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    Use SUM, it ignores text so

    =SUM(A1:A5) will sum any numeric values in the range A1:A5, e.g. 0.3 but ignore text entries e.g. 0.1U

    If you have a non-contiguous range then you can use something like

    =SUM(A1,A3,A5)

  3. #3
    Kevin Vaughn
    Guest

    RE: sum cells IF no text present

    The sum function is tailor made for this request.
    =sum(a1:a3)

    --
    Kevin Vaughn

  4. #4
    LLM
    Guest

    Re: sum cells IF no text present

    Thanks! I had been using the basic =A2+A4 format. The SUM works fine.