Inserting additional data into a cell

  1. #1

    Inserting additional data into a cell

    Hi,

    I have a column of data that consists of 2 and 3 digit numbers (eg 215 or 56), I need to add a prefix of EEL to all of them. As there are over 400 of them, they are all different and they are not concurrent (some numbers are missing) I cant just drag and fill.....

    Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Doug Kanter
    Guest

    Re: Inserting additional data into a cell

    "Alec H" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a column of data that consists of 2 and 3 digit numbers (eg 215
    > or 56), I need to add a prefix of EEL to all of them. As there are over
    > 400 of them, they are all different and they are not concurrent (some
    > numbers are missing) I cant just drag and fill.....
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Let's say you put this formula in cell B1:

    =CONCATENATE("EEL-",A1)

    If cell A1 contained 215, then cell B1 (containing the formula) would now
    contain:
    EEL-215

    Now, you need to copy the value from B1 to A1. Edit, Paste Special, Values,
    and click OK. This pastes just the value, but not the formula, from B1 to
    A1.

    At this point, you're probably thinking what a pain it'll be to type that
    formula all the way down column B, but you don't have to. With the cursor in
    B1, Edit, Copy (or CTRL-C). Now, select all the cells you want to contain
    the formula, and then Edit, Paste. Excel will automatically change the A1
    reference in the formula to A2, A3, etc, depending on line number.

    By the way, the formula does NOT have to be in an adjacent column. It could
    be way off to the right where it's not even on the screen.

  3. #3
    pinmaster
    Guest
    Try this:

    use or insert a blank column, next....say that your data is in A1 then in the blank column type

    =IF(ISNUMBER(A1),"EEL"&A1,"")
    copy down as far as needed, next copy the new column and paste over the original column ...Edit/Paste Special and Values. Clean up or delete the new column when done.

    Hope this helps!
    Jean-Guy

  4. #4
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Inserting additional data into a cell

    =IF(A1>0,"EEL"&A1,"") and copy down............

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  5. #5

    Re: Inserting additional data into a cell

    One more:

    =if(a1="","","EEL-"&text(a1,"000"))

    So leading 0's will show up:
    EEL-001