numerical data sort

  1. #1

    numerical data sort

    Recently, my Excel 2000 starting sorting numbers differently. It now sorts numbers like this: 116, 1228, 1264, 130 - instead of 116, 130, 1228, 1264. Does anyone know how to reset this or change an option to make it sort correctly? Thank you.

  2. #2
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: numerical data sort

    Excel will do that if your numbers are entered as text. To force them to be
    numbers, copy an empty cell, select all the numbers, and use Edit->Paste
    Special-Values->Add.

    Once you do that the numbers will sort the way you expect & intend

    Duke

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by brichwine
    Recently, my Excel 2000 starting sorting numbers differently. It now sorts numbers like this: 116, 1228, 1264, 130 - instead of 116, 130, 1228, 1264. Does anyone know how to reset this or change an option to make it sort correctly? Thank you.

    Try this:

    Select the data -> Date -> Text to Columns -> Finish

    Now sort them.

  5. #5
    Duke Carey