"sneaky" way to set tab order?

  1. #1
    Ron M.
    Guest

    "sneaky" way to set tab order?

    We have a rather complex spreadsheet for data collection. There are
    about 50 data entry cells scattered all over it, and it would be a huge
    help to be able to just hit <tab> to navigate from one data entry cell
    to another.

    This can be done, as you know, by selecting the cells in sequence while
    holding down <control>, then entering a name for the range. Then the
    user selects that name from the little pull-down menu to the upper left
    of the worksheet. This activates the range with that name, and the
    first cell in the series is highlighted and ready to go. No problem
    there.

    Some of our users aren't exactly rocket scientists, and I must make
    this absolutely as simple as possible. What I want to do, is automate
    this name/range-selection process, so when the user first opens the
    worksheet, that range is already activated and ready to go, without
    requiring the user to select it from that little menu in the upper
    left.

    So the whole thing would be transparent; the user would open the
    worksheet, and it would open up all ready to start tabbing and entering
    data, without the user having to do anything.

    Surely there's some code I can stick in there to do this. Anybody?

    Ron Morgan
    Austin, Texas

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor tony h's Avatar
    England: London and Lincolnshire
    Posts
    1,187
    ou need to select the range in he workboon_open method. then the code below will leave the range selected

    Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    Application.Goto Reference:="rMyEnterRangename"

    End Sub

    regards

  3. #3
    keepITcool
    Guest

    Re: "sneaky" way to set tab order?

    maybe redesign your sheet:

    make an "input area", where the user can enter all data
    1 screen where he can see all "variables"
    (use conditional formatting etc to point him to missing input..)

    thus he doesnt need to navigate and on the printout it's simple to see
    the pertinent "manual" data.

    either move your original "scattered" input cells
    to the new area, or simply put a reference to the new
    input cell in the orignal input cell.

    --
    keepITcool

  4. #4
    Rookie 1st class
    Guest

    Re: "sneaky" way to set tab order?

    As long as I'm not the one writing it, consider Input Boxes for each cell
    activated with a Workbook_Open function.
    somthing similar to:
    Public Sub Customer()
    'Customer Name Macro
    Range("CstmrNm").Select
    Selection = InputBox(Prompt:="[Type & Enter]" & Chr(13) & "The
    customer name.", Title:="CUSTOMER NAME", Default:=Range("CstmrNm"))
    'Customer Address Macro
    Range("CstmrAddrss").Select
    Selection = InputBox(Prompt:="[Type & Enter]" & Chr(13) & "The
    customer address." & Chr(13) & "" & Chr(13) & "PLEASE; LEAVE BLANK IF
    CALIBRATION WAS PERFORMED AT OUR FACILITY.", Title:="CUSTOMER ADDRESS",
    Default:=Range("CstmrAddrss"))
    'Customer Item Number Macro
    Range("CstmrItmNmbr").Select
    Selection = InputBox(Prompt:="[Type & Enter]" & Chr(13) & "The
    number the customer assigned to this unit.", Title:="ITEM NUMBER",
    Default:=Range("CstmrItmNmbr"))
    End Sub

    HTH Lou

  5. #5
    keepITcool
    Guest

    Re: "sneaky" way to set tab order?

    Lou

    a barrage of inputboxes is exactyl opposite to
    my idea of a sensible way to interact with the user.

    --
    keepITcool

  6. #6
    GS
    Guest

    RE: "sneaky" way to set tab order?

    Possibly!

    Can you unlock those input cells and protect the sheet. This will cause the
    upper leftmost cell to be active (selected) when the workbook opens,
    ...usually. It depends where it was when last save, but you could add code to
    Workbook_BeforeClose() to activate the starting cell so it's "ready-to-go"
    when it opens.

    Using just the Tab key will only allow navigation horizontally
    left-to-right, and will proceed down to following rows when the there's no
    more unlocked cell in a row.

    If you don't need users to have access to non-input cells, they can only
    follow the Tab key's route. It would be a good idea to review the design of
    your sheet so this follows a logical order. In some cases, users may want to
    use the other navigation keys in concert with the Tab key. Note that all
    other navigation keys will also work 'normal' on protected sheets, but their
    behavior can be dis-orienting if you're not used to using them with protected
    sheets.

    Regards,
    GS