i need an excel wizard

  1. #1

    i need an excel wizard

    don know how to explain but imagine

    Course (eg Math) arcoss the top

    students ( John, Kim...) down the side

    each course is different in lenght( math 4 hours, science 3 hours etc)

    some are require for some ( john must take math ) which is denoted with a "x" symbol

    some are optional (it is optiona for kim to take science ) which is denoted with a "o" symbol

    i need a column at the end that give me total required hours , total optional, and total combined

    note: if the course is niether require nor optional then nothing is in the cell

    HELP HELP HELP

    if this in not clear please reply and we can chat on MSN or something

    THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: i need an excel wizard

    Just to get familiar witht the process, try building this example:

    First, create a list of students and classes
    Col_A Col_B Col_C Col_D
    Students Math English Science
    Al x x o
    Ben o x x
    Clare o x o
    Dara x x x
    Ed o (blank) (blank)

    Second, assign points to classes
    Col_K Col_L
    Math 4
    English 3
    Science 3

    Last, create the calculations
    F1: Req
    G1: Opt
    H1: Total

    F2: =SUMPRODUCT(($B2:$D2="x")*($B$1:$D$1=$K$1:$K$3)*$L$1:$L$3)
    G2: =SUMPRODUCT(($B2:$D2="o")*($B$1:$D$1=$K$1:$K$3)*$L$1:$L$3)
    H2: =SUM(F2:G2)

    Copy those formulas down through row 6

    If that's what you're looking to do, post back with more questions.

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  3. #3
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: i need an excel wizard

    See one possibility in m.p.excel.newusers

    Please don't post the same question in multiple newsgroups. At best, it
    tends to fragment any answers. OTOH, it potentially wastes the time of
    someone responding to a problem that has already been answered.

    For tips on using these newsgroups effectively, see

    http://cpearson.com/excel/newposte.htm

    In article <[email protected]>,
    lushus21 <[email protected]>