Finding the most common cell duplicate (text)

  1. #1

    Finding the most common cell duplicate (text)

    Hey,

    Here's my problem/question.

    I have a big excel file with about 6000 rows of data (mostly text). The 6,000 entries in Column B are all text and that is the data I'm interested in. Each entry contains a person's name. My goal is to figure out which name's are the most commonly listed. Yes I could just sort by that particular column and I've done that. But with 6000+ entries, it's still hard to tell which are listed the most.

    So my aim would be something like the following...

    If I have this in Column B (shorter version, what is listed after the '--' would be the cell contents):
    Row1 -- Jake Scott
    Row2 -- Donald Smith
    Row3 -- Tim Matthews
    Row4 -- Donald Smith
    Row5 -- Jake Scott
    Row6 -- Donald Smith

    For it to be able to tell me that 'Jake Scott' occurs 2 times, 'Donald Smith' occurs 3 times, and 'Tim Matthews' occurs 1 time. And then sort those numbers so I can have a list of the most common entries.

    Would this be possible? If so, how? If not, any other ideas outside of Excel?

    regards,

    Jon

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    try this

    1) sort your list (maybe copy to another sheet first)
    2) in cell c1 and copied down
    =IF(C1>C2,C1,0)
    3) in cell d1 and copied down
    =IF(C2>C3,C2,0)
    4) copy columns c and d and paste special as values
    5) sort columns B thru d based on column d (descending) to get a list of names and occurances - any duplicate names will have a zero in column d
    not a professional, just trying to assist.....

  3. #3
    Duane,

    Thanks for the reply. I followed you until step #5.

    How, exactly, do I "sort columns B thru d based on column d (descending)"?

    I went to the Data Sort dialogue box, but I don't see anything about sorting a column 'through' or 'based on' anything.

    regards,

    Jon

  4. #4
    Nevermind, I think I found a way to do it through the 'Subtotals' function.

    Not the prettiest output, but it works.

    Thanks anyway.

  5. #5
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Finding the most common cell duplicate (text)

    On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 20:22:29 -0600, juggo
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hey,
    >
    >Here's my problem/question.
    >
    >I have a big excel file with about 6000 rows of data (mostly text).
    >The 6,000 entries in Column B are all text and that is the data I'm
    >interested in. Each entry contains a person's name. My goal is to
    >figure out which name's are the most commonly listed. Yes I could just
    >sort by that particular column and I've done that. But with 6000+
    >entries, it's still hard to tell which are listed the most.
    >
    >So my aim would be something like the following...
    >
    >If I have this in Column B (shorter version, what is listed after the
    >'--' would be the cell contents):
    >Row1 -- Jake Scott
    >Row2 -- Donald Smith
    >Row3 -- Tim Matthews
    >Row4 -- Donald Smith
    >Row5 -- Jake Scott
    >Row6 -- Donald Smith
    >
    >For it to be able to tell me that 'Jake Scott' occurs 2 times, 'Donald
    >Smith' occurs 3 times, and 'Tim Matthews' occurs 1 time. And then sort
    >those numbers so I can have a list of the most common entries.
    >
    >Would this be possible? If so, how? If not, any other ideas outside
    >of Excel?
    >
    >regards,
    >
    >Jon

    You could use a Pivot Table, or Data/Sort Data/Subtotals

    1. Insert a "Label Row" at Row 1
    2. B1: Names
    C1: Frequency
    C2: =COUNTIF(rng,B2)
    (where rng is a named reference or an absolute reference to your list of names
    in B2:Bn)

    3. Fill down from C2:Cn

    4. Data/Sort Descending on Frequency

    5. Data/Subtotals
    At each change in Names
    Use Function Count
    Add Subtotal to Frequency

    Click on the <2> to collapse to just the Count of Names.

    ------------------
    For a Pivot Table, no need for the second column.

    Just use the Pivot Table wizard; drag Names to Rows and Names to Data area. It
    should give you a count and, if necessary, you should be able to sort it.

    --ron

  6. #6
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Finding the most common cell duplicate (text)

    Hi!

    The easy way:

    Use an advanced filter and copy the unique entries to another column. Then
    use a Countif formula.

    Biff

    "juggo" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...