compare excel rows

  1. #1
    wdverner
    Guest

    compare excel rows

    Hi all,
    I have an excel sheet with hundred rows. Each row has 10 colums of data.
    What I want to do is compare row 1 to row 2 and count the number of
    differences between the 10 columns. I then want to compare row 1 to rpw 3 and
    count the difference etc.

    Firstly is there a way of doing this?! If so whats the best approach?

    Many thanks,

  2. #2

    comparing row 1 to the other 99

    You could set up another 10x100 block to the right of the existing one and in rows 2 to 100 put in a formula:

    in k2 put

    =if(a2=a$1,0,1)

    then copy this down and across

    just add up the ones in each row from column k across.

    I am sure there are lots more ways.

  3. #3
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: compare excel rows

    Assuming your data starts in A1, put this in K1 and copy down:

    =SUMPRODUCT(($A$1:$J$1<>A2:J2)*1)

    --
    Jim
    news:[email protected]...