How can I search for *?

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor
    Kansas, USA
    MS-Off Ver

    How can I search for *?

    I have a large imported list of part numbers. The problem is that some of the part numbers contain an asterisk (*) as part of the part number. This causes some obvious problems when doung lookups. I'd like to do a search/replace to replace all asterisks with some other non-wild-card symbol.

    Can anyone tell me how to do this?

    Thanks.

    ---Glenn

  2. #2
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: How can I search for *?

    Using Edit, Replace search for ~*

    --
    Jim
    "gjcase" <[email protected]> wrote in

  3. #3

    Re: How can I search for *?

    ~*
    ~?
    and
    ~~

    if you're doing Edit|find

    In =vlookup():

    =VLOOKUP(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"~","~~"),"?","~?"),"*","~*"),
    Sheet2!$A:$B,2,FALSE)

    Is one way to handle both the wild cards and escape character.

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    Kansas, USA
    MS-Off Ver