Is it even possible?

  1. #1

    Is it even possible?

    Ok I have an excel problem I am trying to figure out if it is even possible to do.

    I am going to have column A where data will be entered.. then I am going to have a B column where all possible entries for A will be listed.. then I also have a C column to the right of B column that has numbers that correspond to each item in B column.

    What I want to do is have column D, that refers to the entry in column A, matches it in column B and the displays the corresponding entry from column C.

    Anyone understand and think this might be possible?

    Thanks

    -Josh

  2. #2
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    RE: Is it even possible?

    OK, let's do this in steps.

    In column B, enter the data that you want to allow in Column A.

    In Cell A2, do the following:

    Data | Validations | Settings Tab | Choose ALLOW LIST
    Select the source of the list in column B and OK
    Copy A2 down as necessary.

    Enter the info to match B in column C.
    In column D2, enter the following
    =VLOOKUP(A2,B$2:C$11,2,FALSE)

    Keep in mind that B$2:C$11 may change depending on the range of your values
    for column A and the match for column B.

    Copy D2 down.

    Good luck!

    Barb Reinhardt

  3. #3