Freezing on SumIf

  1. #1

    Freezing on SumIf

    I'm working with a rather large workbook (~50,000K). I have a page set up that does a bunch of SumIfs to return results. I'm not sure when this happened, but now, everytime I try to recalculate the formulas after the data has been refreshed, the sheet locks up and I have to ctrl+alt+delete out of it. I'm pulling the data I'm using in these SumIfs from 4 sheets with a total of around 150,000 rows. Has anyone ever heard of this problem, and is there anything I can do to fix it? Suggestions? I'm at the end of my rope here.

  2. #2
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: Freezing on SumIf

    My only guess is you're not giving Excel enough time to recalculate. Sounds
    like it might take a while.

    --
    Jim
    "Kimmerz321" <[email protected]> wrote

  3. #3

    Countif also freezes

    I have had same problem with Countif. It isn't just impatience -- when I first paste the formulas into a grid they calculate the first time in about 15 seconds. But if they ever need to recalculate, it freezes, and I've left it for quite awhile waiting.

    To get these answers I ultimately had to paste the formulas to get the answers initially, then set calculation to manual so it wouldn't try to recalculate and freeze, then replace the cells with their values, then re-set calculation to automatic. I had to do this repeatedly and would be interested in what the problem/solution is.

  4. #4
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: Freezing on SumIf

    Interesting. I've never heard of this problem, or encountered it obviously.
    I'd love to try to reproduce it on my machine if you are at liberty to zip
    the file and send it to me. If it reproduces in Excel 12 (I'm a beta
    tester) I'll bug it and maybe it will get fixed.

    --
    Jim
    "fselker" <[email protected]> wrote in

  5. #5
    I will dupe out the data and send you the file. I'd love to get this fixed in a future release - its been such a pain. I think I'm going to end up dumping my data into Access and doing some queries to do the math there.

  6. #6
    fselker
    Guest

    Re: Freezing on SumIf

    Would you like me to e-mail you mine with the similar problem?

  7. #7
    fselker
    Guest

    RE: Freezing on SumIf

    In case you didn't get Jim's explanation of this:

    Hi Frank-

    COUNTIFs can be slow, but that is not the problem with your workbook. The
    problem is that Excel's smart recalc is turned off by the sheer size of your
    workbook and so it has to recalc almost every formula for every COUNTIF.

    Excel normally keeps track of what cells each formula depends on and does
    not recalc a formula unless a precedent cell has changed value. This is what
    I mean by smart recalc. But when there are too many formulas or they are too
    complex Excel stops doing this and recalcs cells whether they need it or not.
    That's what you're seeing. Each time Excel calcs one of your COUNTIFs it
    sees it depends on the range H17:H56693 so it first recalcs that range.
    (When you do an F2, Enter, Excel just calcs that cell, not precedent ranges.)

    But you can easily reduce the number of formulas and make your calcs far
    faster. Select the range H17:H56693 and convert it from formulas to values
    (First do a Copy then and then do an Edit, Paste Special, Values right in
    place). Now put an "=" in front of the F3 formula and copy it and press F9.

    FYI, Excel 12 (the version now in beta test) can keep track of more
    dependencies so it calcs your sheets as is.

    Jim Rech

  8. #8
    fselker
    Guest

    RE: Freezing on SumIf

    I've done more testing, and I don't think this is the answer. More to follow.