Time Cell help

  1. #1
    SFD
    Guest

    Time Cell help

    I have a spreadsheet that has the been exported from a data base into excel.

    the cells have times in them as -

    03:24:00 03:28:00 03:31:00 00:00:00 03:41:00 03:52:00 04:04:00
    04:19:00

    When I go to cell property it shows it as "general"

    I have close to 3000 lines as above.

    I need a way to calculate 03:24:00 and 04:19:00 to total 00:55 in another
    cell

    1) How can I convert the cells to hr mm and not delete the data

    2) How do I calculate the SUM of minutes to get a total amount of minutes
    for all the times?

    Any help is greatly appreciated!!

    Steve

  2. #2
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: Time Cell help

    If I understand correctly, you have eight dates in one cell, each
    separated by a single space. If you want to get these into 8 different
    columns you can highlight the column then do Data | Text-to-Columns and
    specify space as the delimiter. If you then want the difference between
    column H and column A, enter this formula in cell i1:

    =H1-A1

    then copy this formula down your 3000 rows.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  3. #3
    SFD
    Guest

    Re: Time Cell help

    Sorry Pete I should have clarified it a little better:

    What I have are eight cells in one row each with

    A1 A2 A3 A4 A5
    A6 A7 A8
    03:24:00 03:28:00 03:31:00 00:00:00 03:41:00 03:52:00 04:04:00
    04:19:00

    These are "times" 03:24:00 is 03:24 am/0324hrs

    Sorry for the confusion

    Steve

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: Time Cell help

    Another confusion now is your cell referencing - it normally goes A, B,
    C etc going across ...

    Given that the dates are already in 8 separate cells, will my second
    suggestion not work now?

    i.e. to enter this formula in column i: =H1-A1

    and copy down.

    Pete

  5. #5
    SFD
    Guest

    Re: Time Cell help

    Pete,

    You are correct, very long night, yes it should have been A1,B1,C1 ect ....

    Yes your formula worked for about 90% of the rows .... The other 10% are
    when the time cross's from 23:30:00 - 00:55:00 gives me no total.

    Thanks for the help and sorry about the confusion.

  6. #6
    Steve,

    Try

    =IF(A1>H1,H1+24-A1,H1-A1)

    and fill down.

    Neill

  7. #7
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: Time Cell help

    As these are times, where 1 = 24hour day, you need to add 1 not 24, so
    amend this formula:

    =IF(A1>H1,H1-A1+1,H1-A1)

    Hope this helps.

    Pete