how do i get the sum of data from specific dates

  1. #1
    huffmjb
    Guest

    how do i get the sum of data from specific dates

    Column A has dates eg: 2006/01/01, 2006/01/02 with many entries for each date.
    Column B, C, D has data of hours used on these dates.
    I am looking for a way to get the sum of each column specific to a date
    (daily totals)

  2. #2
    Enron
    Guest

    RE: how do i get the sum of data from specific dates

    Why don't you just add a column to the right of your data with a sum function ?

  3. #3

    Re: how do i get the sum of data from specific dates

    If you sort by column A, you can use Data|subtotals to add up those hours.

    If the hours are really cells containing time (5:00 or 7:30), then format the
    subtotals as [h]:mm.

    It'll avoid a problem if the subtotals exceed 24 hours.

    Or you may want to look into Data|pivottable.

  4. #4
    huffmjb
    Guest

    Re: how do i get the sum of data from specific dates

    Cells do not contain any time
    Below is a sample of the sheet, I am exporting this data into excel from SAP
    so the layout is what I get.
    I am lookin for a way to get a sum for column B,C & D for each day (ie:
    2006/01/01)
    There are many entries for each day.

    A B C D

    2006/01/01 8 8 9
    2006/01/01 8 9 9
    2006/01/01 6 6 4
    2006/01/02 5.5 5 5
    2006/01/02 8 5 6
    2006/01/02 9 5 6
    2006/01/02 10 8 7
    2006/01/03 7 6 7

  5. #5
    Hi huffmjb!

    You have to break the SAP data up first before you can do what you are wanting to do. Assuming SAP data starts in A1 try this (enter all in row 1):

    Col B
    =SEARCH(" ",A1,12)
    Col C
    =SEARCH("",A1,SEARCH(" ",A1,12)+2)
    Col D
    =LEFT(A1,11)
    Col E
    =MID(A1,12,B1-12)
    Col F
    =MID(A1,B1+1,C1-B1-1)
    Col G
    =MID(A1,C1+1,LEN(A1)-C1)

    Once this is entered, fill B1:G1 down to fit the SAP data length. Columns D through G should separate into the date field, and three time fields. Then use subtotal or sumif to pull specific dates. Columns B & C are just to calculate where the packed spaces are located and can be hidden.

    Neill

  6. #6

    Re: how do i get the sum of data from specific dates

    So just sort by the date and do data|subtotals. You'll see each day's total.