Returning value next to the nth occurrence of a particular number.

  1. #1
    daikontim
    Guest

    Returning value next to the nth occurrence of a particular number.

    Hi,
    I have 2 columns. Column A has numbers, some of which are repeated
    numerous times. Column B has dates. How do I look up the nth occurrence
    of a particular number in column A and return the corresponding date? Any
    help greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Returning value next to the nth occurrence of a particular number.

    On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 17:24:03 -0800, daikontim
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I have 2 columns. Column A has numbers, some of which are repeated
    >numerous times. Column B has dates. How do I look up the nth occurrence
    >of a particular number in column A and return the corresponding date? Any
    >help greatly appreciated.

    Try the array formula:

    =INDEX(dts,LARGE((rng=num)*ROW(rng),COUNTIF(rng,num)+1-n))

    braces {...} around the formula.

    rng is the range with numbers in Column A
    num is the particular number you are searching for.
    n is the occurrence number
    dts is the range of dates in column B

    --ron

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Returning value next to the nth occurrence of a particular number.

    One way ..

    A sample construct is available at:
    http://cjoint.com/?cvdLnPptlQ
    Returning value next to the nth occurrence of a particular
    number_daikontim_wks.xls

    Assuming numbers and dates are in A1:B6
    Put in C1: =IF(A1="","",COUNTIF($A$1:A1,A1))
    Copy down to C6
    Col C provides the occurence count for the numbers in col A

    Assuming F1:F2 will contain the inputs for the number / occurence, and F3 is
    where we want the result (corresp. date) to be

    Put in F3, and array-enter (press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER):
    =INDEX(B1:B6,MATCH(1,(A1:A6=F1)*(C1:C6=F2),0))
    Format F3 as date

    Adapt the ranges to suit ..
    (note that we can't use entire col refs)

    Perhaps better with some minimal error trapping built-in, we could put
    instead in F3, and array-enter the formula (as before):
    =IF(OR(F1="",F2=""),"",INDEX(B1:B6,MATCH(1,(A1:A6=F1)*(C1:C6=F2),0)))

    --
    Max
    Singapore
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Rosenfeld
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I have 2 columns. Column A has numbers, some of which are repeated
    >numerous times. Column B has dates. How do I look up the nth occurrence
    >of a particular number in column A and return the corresponding date? Any
    >help greatly appreciated.

    Try the array formula:

    =INDEX(dts,LARGE((rng=num)*ROW(rng),COUNTIF(rng,num)+1-n))

    braces {...} around the formula.

    rng is the range with numbers in Column A
    num is the particular number you are searching for.
    n is the occurrence number
    dts is the range of dates in column B

    --ron
    Ron's solution is outstanding

    Here is a small change that will allow the range definitions rng and dts to be moved from row 1 - same instructions as in Ron's post

    {=INDEX(dts,LARGE((rng=num)*ROW(rng),COUNTIF(rng,num)+1-n)-MIN(ROW(rng))+1)}

    Neill

  5. #5
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Returning value next to the nth occurrence of a particular number.

    On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 00:31:31 -0600, neillcato
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Ron Rosenfeld Wrote:
    >> On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 17:24:03 -0800, daikontim
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hi,
    >> >I have 2 columns. Column A has numbers, some of which are repeated
    >> >numerous times. Column B has dates. How do I look up the nth

    >> occurrence
    >> >of a particular number in column A and return the corresponding date?

    >> Any
    >> >help greatly appreciated.

    >> Try the array formula:
    >>
    >> =INDEX(dts,LARGE((rng=num)*ROW(rng),COUNTIF(rng,num)+1-n))

    >> will place
    >> braces {...} around the formula.
    >>
    >> rng is the range with numbers in Column A
    >> num is the particular number you are searching for.
    >> n is the occurrence number
    >> dts is the range of dates in column B
    >>

    >> --ron

    >Ron's solution is outstanding
    >
    >Here is a small change that will allow the range definitions rng and
    >dts to be moved from row 1 - same instructions as in Ron's post
    >
    >{=INDEX(dts,LARGE((rng=num)*ROW(rng),COUNTIF(rng,num)+1-n)-MIN(ROW(rng))+1)}
    >

    >Neill

    Thanks for the addition
    --ron