[Group] after filename in Excel title bar?

  1. #1
    Tom
    Guest

    [Group] after filename in Excel title bar?

    What causes the word [Group] to appear in brackets after the filename in the
    Excel 2003 Title Bar?

  2. #2
    Trevor Shuttleworth
    Guest

    Re: [Group] after filename in Excel title bar?

    You have more than one sheet (tab) selected.

    You may have done this intentionally or not. Click on a sheet that is not
    currently selected to remove it.

    Regards

    Trevor

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Forum Expert dominicb's Avatar
    Lancashire, England
    MS-Off Ver
    MS Office 2000, 2003, 2007 & 2016 365
    Posts
    4,867

    Smile

    Good evening Tom

    Group mode is invoked when you select a numebr of sheets (tabs) at the same time using Shift or Ctrl. Any changes made in one sheet will be reflected in all sheets, and results can be quite damaging to the unwary, and very useful to those in the know.

    Try opening a new workbook, with say three sheets; highlight all tabs and then type something in A1 for it to be replicated across all three sheets.

    HTH

    DominicB

  4. #4
    Tom
    Guest

    RE: [Group] after filename in Excel title bar?

    Trevor:
    Thank you very much! I guess we just never noticed that before. I feel very
    stupid!

  5. #5
    Tom
    Guest

    Re: [Group] after filename in Excel title bar?

    Thank you Dominicb: I appreciate the warning of consequences also. I learn
    something new everyday and I teach this stuff.
    Tom