"Name Box" in Excel

  1. #1
    mike44nh
    Guest

    "Name Box" in Excel

    I was using a spreadsheet today when the "name box" in the toolbar section
    disappeared; this is the box I use to edit text in cells. For the life of me
    I can't figure out how to get it back and I've tried everything! Help!

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor tony h's Avatar
    England: London and Lincolnshire
    Posts
    1,187
    Try on the menus : view -formula bar

    hope this helps

  3. #3

    Re: "Name Box" in Excel

    Did the whole formula bar disappear?

    View|formula bar

    might just do it.

  4. #4
    mike44nh
    Guest

    Re: "Name Box" in Excel

    Tony, You saved me! I can't believe how simple that was - I feel like a dolt
    after having spent almost 3 hours on this yesterday. ;-) I can't thank you
    enough!
    Mike

  5. #5
    Doug Kanter
    Guest

    Re: "Name Box" in Excel

    It really is a good idea to explore the menus and try as many of the choices
    as possible. There are amazing things (not) hidden in the menus.

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Bruce Sinclair
    Guest

    Re: "Name Box" in Excel

    In article <[email protected]>, "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >It really is a good idea to explore the menus and try as many of the choices
    >as possible. There are amazing things (not) hidden in the menus.

    Be a bit cautious when you say this. Some people run with that strange
    setting that only shows you the menu items you have recently used (IIRC) ...
    and so all those other often helpful possibilities don't in fact show up for
    them.
    As you imply, I too think this is a really bad idea

    4nh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Tony, You saved me! I can't believe how simple that was - I feel like a
    >> dolt
    >> after having spent almost 3 hours on this yesterday. ;-) I can't thank you
    >> enough!
    >> Mike
    >>
    >> "tony h" wrote:
    >>

    >>> Try on the menus : view -formula bar
    >>>
    >>> hope this helps
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> tony h
    >>> tony h's Profile:
    >>> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21074
    >>> View this thread:
    >>> http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=515528

    Bruce

    (if there were any)

  7. #7

    Re: "Name Box" in Excel

    And to change that setting so that it's "nice":

    tools|customize|Options tab
    check Always show full menus

    and check "Show Standard and formatting toolbars on two rows" so that you can
    see all the available icons.

    And there are lots of things that don't show up in menus or toolbars. I think
    it's nice to go through tools|customize|commands tab and just look through all
    the builtin icons in each category.

    If you see something you like, just drag it to a toolbar (or create a new
    toolbar for your customizations): Tools|Customize|toolbars tab.

  8. #8
    Bruce Sinclair
    Guest

    Re: "Name Box" in Excel

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
    >And to change that setting so that it's "nice":
    >
    >tools|customize|Options tab
    >check Always show full menus
    >
    >and check "Show Standard and formatting toolbars on two rows" so that you can
    >see all the available icons.
    >
    >And there are lots of things that don't show up in menus or toolbars. I think
    >it's nice to go through tools|customize|commands tab and just look through all
    >the builtin icons in each category.
    >
    >If you see something you like, just drag it to a toolbar (or create a new
    >toolbar for your customizations): Tools|Customize|toolbars tab.

    That's it. Thanks

  9. #9
    Doug Kanter
    Guest

    Re: "Name Box" in Excel

    "Bruce Sinclair" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, "Doug Kanter"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>It really is a good idea to explore the menus and try as many of the
    >>choices
    >>as possible. There are amazing things (not) hidden in the menus.

    > Be a bit cautious when you say this. Some people run with that strange
    > setting that only shows you the menu items you have recently used (IIRC)
    > and so all those other often helpful possibilities don't in fact show up
    > for
    > them.
    > As you imply, I too think this is a really bad idea

    And another thing: Excel should be designed to open the first 20 times with
    a sheet showing keyboard shortcuts, and how to spot their existence for
    various menu commands. Right in your face - no turning it off. Imagine how
    much carpal tunnel syndrome might've been prevented over the years.