- signs at back of number so won't add up, please help!

  1. #1
    Adam
    Guest

    - signs at back of number so won't add up, please help!

    I copy data into excel from an accounts programme, but all the minus signs
    are at the back so Excel won't add these numbers up

    i.e 4
    3-

    Th answer comes to 4 rather than one , what can I do about this?

    Thanks for your help Adam

    I know you guys/girls know an answer

  2. #2
    Kevin B
    Guest

    RE: - signs at back of number so won't add up, please help!

    Create a helper column to the right of the numbers in and enter the following
    formula in the new column, substituting the cell address A1 for the cell
    address your numbers start in:

    =IF(RIGHT(A1,1)="-",VALUE(LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-1)*-1),A1)

    Copy the formula down the column to get all the numbers.

    Copy the all the cells in formula column, move to the top of the number
    column and click EDIT in the menu and select PASTE SPECIAL. Click the
    VALUES check box and click OK. Delete the column containing your formulas.
    --
    Kevin Backmann

  3. #3
    Elkar
    Guest

    RE: - signs at back of number so won't add up, please help!

    Here's one possible solution.

    Insert a new column and use the following formula:

    =IF(RIGHT(A1,1)="-",VALUE("-"&SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-","")),A1)

    This will move the - sign to the front of all values if they have it,
    otherwise leave the value as is.

    You can then perform your SUM on this new column, or "COPY" and "PASTE
    SPECIAL - VALUES" over your original data. Then delete the new column.

    HTH,
    Elkar

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor

    -signs at back of number so won't add up!

    hi!

    select the range of your data!
    goto menu bar

    Data > Text to Columns > Select Fixed width > Select General in Data Format >>finish

    you'll get the desired result!

    -via135

    Quote Originally Posted by Elkar

  5. #5

    Re: - signs at back of number so won't add up, please help!

    Dana DeLouis posted this:

    Sub TrailingMinus()
    ' = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
    ' Use of CDbl suggested by Peter Surcouf
    ' Program by Dana DeLouis, [email protected]
    ' = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
    Dim rng As Range
    Dim bigrng As Range

    On Error Resume Next
    Set bigrng = Cells.SpecialCells(xlConstants, xlTextValues).Cells
    If bigrng Is Nothing Then Exit Sub

    For Each rng In bigrng.Cells
    rng = CDbl(rng)
    Next

  6. #6
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: - signs at back of number so won't add up, please help!

    Select the column with the values having the minus sign following the number,
    and run this code........

    Sub ReverseMinus()
    Dim rng As Range, cell As Range
    Set rng = Selection
    For Each cell In rng
    If Right(cell, 1) = "-" Then
    cell.Value = "-" & Mid(cell, Len(cell) - 1, 99)
    End If
    If Right(cell, 1) = "-" Then
    cell.Value = Mid(cell, 1, Len(cell) - 1)
    End If
    Next
    End Sub

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  7. #7
    Adam
    Guest

    Re: - signs at back of number so won't add up, please help!

    Thank you everybody