How do I copy validated lists

  1. #1
    Paul
    Guest

    How do I copy validated lists

    Making a schedule 21 days across by 12 rows down. I want to make a drop down
    list of employees names and have the same list available in each cell. I use
    the data, validation steps to create the lists, but Excel automatically
    changes the coordinates of the data in each horizontal or vertical cell.

    How do I make an IDENTICAL drop down list of employees show up in each cell?

    This has frustrated me so badly that the dog assumes I'm going to kick him
    and hides everytime I open an Excel spreadsheet. (well, if I really had a dog
    to kick he would)

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: How do I copy validated lists

    You can use a named range as the list source, as described here:

    or use an absolute reference to the list, e.g.: =$A$1:$A$6
    instead of a relative reference: =A1:A6

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3
    Forum Moderator davesexcel's Avatar
    Regina
    MS-Off Ver
    MS 365
    Posts
    13,486
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul
    Making a schedule 21 days across by 12 rows down. I want to make a drop down
    list of employees names and have the same list available in each cell. I use
    the data, validation steps to create the lists, but Excel automatically
    changes the coordinates of the data in each horizontal or vertical cell.

    How do I make an IDENTICAL drop down list of employees show up in each cell?

    This has frustrated me so badly that the dog assumes I'm going to kick him
    and hides everytime I open an Excel spreadsheet. (well, if I really had a dog
    to kick he would)
    Hi there,
    There are a couple of ways you can do this, Highlite the cells you want to have the dropdown list,
    then go
    data,validation,lists
    in the box click the squarething that takes you to the spreadsheet, go to the range that has your list and highlite it press enter a couple of times and voila, all those cells have your dropdown list in them.
    if you wanted to have other cells that are not in a row with the cells then you can highlite different ranges by pressing on the Ctrl button and the keyboard and highlite different ranges,
    to go to another worksheet and use the same list you need to name that list
    highlite the list click on the down arrow beside the formula box and a drop down menu appears put a one word name in it, now you have named your list
    now anywhere in your workbook you can use the list
    when you are in data validation, list
    type =nameRange

  4. #4
    Paul
    Guest

    RE: How do I copy validated lists

    Amillion thanks, Debra. Neat, simple solution, and your explanation was far
    more understandable than umpteen searches through Excel's Help section. May
    you always be happy and healthy! Paul.

  5. #5
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest