Date Calculations

  1. #1

    Date Calculations

    Simple Question I hope.....not for me obviously.

    I have a field that puts in the current month formatted as 02. I need to take that number and multiply it by a payment to get a current balance due for the year.

    For example 02 (current month) x 283.8 (payment) = 567.60

    Right now the date format in the 02 is returning a goofy number.

    Any ideas?

    THANKS!

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Date Calculations

    Hard to tell what you are doing, but if I format the cell as MM and put in
    an actual date, then in the immediate window, these queries show the
    situation:

    ? activecell.Text
    02
    ? activecell.NumberFormat
    mm
    ? activecell.Value2
    38760
    ? activecell.Value
    2/12/2006

    so the actual number stored in the cell is 38760 which is the date serial
    for the date I entered 2/12/2006.

    If you want to multiply by the month number then (assume the cell is B9) use

    =month(b9)*283.8

    Tom Ogilvy

    "denileigh" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Date Calculations

    Hello,

    Use
    =MONTH(02) * 283.8

    HTH,
    Bernd

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Date Calculations

    Sure that is what you meant:

    ? MONTH(02)
    1

    Perhaps you meant

    =Month(B9)*283.8

    where B9 holds a date (and displays 02) [ as an example ]

    Tom Ogilvy

  5. #5
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: Date Calculations

    Hi,
    These worked for me:

    A1=Date =27/02/2006
    B1 ==> = Month(A1)*283.8 (B1 formatted as general)
    C1=Month(A1) (formatted as general)
    D1==> = C1 * 283.8 (D1 formatted as general)

    XL2003

    HTH

  6. #6
    WOHOO! It worked like a charm!

    THANKS BUNCHES!

  7. #7

    Re: Date Calculations

    Hi Tom,

    Yes. I like to abbreviate and I expect the OP's to think (and they do
    :-)

    Regards,
    Bernd