EXCEL SORT - How do I prevent 'frozen' rows from sorting?

  1. #1
    JHJ IN AZ
    Guest

    EXCEL SORT - How do I prevent 'frozen' rows from sorting?

    (Excel 2000) I have 2 "header rows" that I don't want included when I sort
    the page. It worked fine at first, just clicking the sort ascending or sort
    descending icon, then something changed. Even if I go to "data sort" and
    check "header row" it only recognizes the top row, not the second. I've had
    this happen before but can't remember the cure.

  2. #2
    Forum Moderator davesexcel's Avatar
    Regina
    MS-Off Ver
    MS 365
    Posts
    13,486

    Talking

    try highliting the range before you choose sort then you don't require the heading selection

  3. #3
    JHJ IN AZ
    Guest

    Re: EXCEL SORT - How do I prevent 'frozen' rows from sorting?

    But if I highlight the range, the sort icons are useless because I can't
    select a cell in the column by which I want to sort. Then I have to manually
    set up the "Data" "Sort" dialogue every time. When I first started out, I
    could merely select a cell in the desired column, then click either of the
    sort icons.

  4. #4
    Michael
    Guest

    Re: EXCEL SORT - How do I prevent 'frozen' rows from sorting?

    Hi JHJ IN AZ. The MVP's who help in this forum have advised to never, ever
    use the sort icons from the tool bar because of the risk of trashing your
    data. They recommend always selecting your data first and then using the
    sort menu. Sincerely, Michael Colvin