How do I remove multiple windows of 1 workbook (filename.xls:2,:3

  1. #1
    Stacey D.
    Guest

    How do I remove multiple windows of 1 workbook (filename.xls:2,:3

    I have created an excel workbook file and accidentally opened multiple
    windows of the same workbook. How can I make it show only 1 window?

  2. #2
    with each window you have open, look at the top right hand corner. you should see 3 boxes one that has a _ and another one with two boxes one in front of the other, and the last one shows an X. Click the one in the middle (the two boxes). that will Maximize the windows.

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How do I remove multiple windows of 1 workbook (filename.xls:2,:3

    Close each window using the the window's "x" until you get down to one window.

    Save this.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  4. #4
    Bangladesh
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: How do I remove multiple windows of 1 workbook (filename.xls:2,:3

    To remove multiple windows of 1 workbook , open the workbook >> click on "view" tab >> click "arrange all" (beside the "freeze panes" option >>
    >> now you will see all the windows of this one workbook that you opened. >> now close all the window by clicking the "X" button besides
    the "maximize" & "minimize" button.>> no save the workbook

    Thanks

  5. #5
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 2016, Win10-64

    Re: How do I remove multiple windows of 1 workbook (filename.xls:2,:3

    I am currently seeing a SINGLE window of a file, but it has ":2" on it. I can 'allegedly' Switch Windows to the ":1", but it doesn't actually switch me.
    While I may have closed the file with 2 windows open last time, there is only 1 window now, with the ":2" tag on it.
    There is no hidden window.

    So - I can't 'close' 'the second window' because there is actually only one open.

    I've closed/opened the file, Excel, and rebooted...
    Sometimes, Task Manager will show 2 lines of Excel, and I can END TASK on one of them; but it makes no difference.
    It's an XLSM file, but I've tried converting to/from XLS and XLSB, no difference.
    I've tried saving as a new file, etc. No change.

    Not stopping my work, but frustrating because it simply shouldn't be like this.
    Any thoughts on cleaning this out?
    Office 2016.
    Last edited by David_R_Turner; 12-19-2021 at 03:44 PM.

  6. #6
    Forum Guru TMS's Avatar
    The Great City of Manchester, NW England ;-)
    MS-Off Ver
    MSO 2007,2010,365
    Posts
    44,730

    Re: How do I remove multiple windows of 1 workbook (filename.xls:2,:3

    I would guess the first window has it's visible property set to false.

    Click on View, then Window. If you see "Unhide", click on it. You'll see a list of hidden workbooks. Select the one you want and click ok.
    Trevor Shuttleworth - Retired Excel/VBA Consultant

    I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

    'Being unapologetic means never having to say you're sorry' John Cooper Clarke

  7. #7
    Forum Guru TMS's Avatar
    The Great City of Manchester, NW England ;-)
    MS-Off Ver
    MSO 2007,2010,365
    Posts
    44,730

    Re: How do I remove multiple windows of 1 workbook (filename.xls:2,:3

    Oh, and then pick one and click on the "x" in the top right corner.

  8. #8
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 2016, Win10-64

    Re: How do I remove multiple windows of 1 workbook (filename.xls:2,:3

    Thanks Trevor, but as I noted, there is only one window in view, but it is marked as ":2".
    It's not a hidden/unhidden question; the ":1" window is simply not there.
    When viewed "side by side" for example, I simply get the one ":2" window.

    I can try to "Switch Windows" and both ":1" and ":2" are there, but selecting ":1" brings up ":2". Selecting ":2" also brings up ":2". There isn't actually a ":1" open, despite Excel thinking there is.

    I've opened a new window, and now have ":2" and ":3" visible; yet manipulating them, brings up only these 2 windows - there simply is NO ":1" window. to be closed.

  9. #9
    Forum Guru TMS's Avatar
    The Great City of Manchester, NW England ;-)
    MS-Off Ver
    MSO 2007,2010,365
    Posts
    44,730

    Re: How do I remove multiple windows of 1 workbook (filename.xls:2,:3

    Did you follow the instructions? I didn't say anything about viewing side by side.

    I said
    Click on View, then Window. If you see "Unhide", click on it. You'll see a list of hidden workbooks.
    If it's not that, you're on your own.

  10. #10
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 2016, Win10-64

    Re: How do I remove multiple windows of 1 workbook (filename.xls:2,:3

    "It's not a hidden/unhidden question" - in that yes, that was the very first thing I tried. I've updated the original post to say it's not that...

    I've also just now tried opening a 3rd/"4th" window.
    When I auto-arrange them, Excel shows me 4 window areas evenly spaced across the screen, but just the 3 windows that exist, and a 4th window space with nothing in it.
    So Excel DOES BELIEVE that ":1" window to be there... but it's not showing me anything.

  11. #11
    Forum Guru TMS's Avatar
    The Great City of Manchester, NW England ;-)
    MS-Off Ver
    MSO 2007,2010,365
    Posts
    44,730

    Re: How do I remove multiple windows of 1 workbook (filename.xls:2,:3

    If you can prepare a desensitised version of the workbook that still displays the symptoms, post it here.

    Please attach a sample workbook (not a picture or pasted copy). Make sure there is just enough data to demonstrate your need. Include a BEFORE sheet and an AFTER sheet in the workbook if needed to show the process you're trying to complete or automate. Make sure your desired results are shown, mock them up manually if necessary.

    Remember to desensitize the data.

    Click on GO ADVANCED and then scroll down to Manage Attachments to open the upload window.

  12. #12
    United Kingdom
    MS-Off Ver
    Web excel/teams

    Re: How do I remove multiple windows of 1 workbook (filename.xls:2,:3

    FYI, should fix this

    Data tab > ungroup > Clear Outline