Removing Weekend dates from Day Calculations

  1. #1

    Removing Weekend dates from Day Calculations

    I'm trying to use date formulas to show the amount of days between an invoice date and a Due Date. I'm using DAYS360 to figure out the number of days between the two dates, and I'm trying to figure in a 5 day "Grace period" before the time shows late and the customer gets a late fee. I was using an "IF" formula for the grace period (ex: =IF(A1>5, true,false)) My problem is, of course, Weekends. Since this formula to figure out days late will continue to tally until payment is made, we can be off 2 days every 5 after being late, or it will show late early if the invoice goes out on Wednesday.
    Anyone know of a formula or a way to execute what I'm trying to do?
    Much thanks
    Scott

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Removing Weekend dates from Day Calculations

    Do you really need to use DAYS360? That can cause you to be off since it
    assumes 12 months of exactly 30 days.

    You can figure out the total number of days just by subtracting the
    invoice date from the due date (and formatting as Number or General).

    To exclude weekends, take a look at NETWORKDAYS() in XL Help. It's an
    Analysis Toolpak Add-in function so you'll need to load the ATP
    (Tools/Add-ins...).

  3. #3
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    If your invoices always go out on weekdays your 5 days grace will be the equivalent of 7 actual days, won't it?

    ...unless you want to factor in holidays, in which case I believe you'd want NETWORKDAYs as suggested by JE McGimpsey