formula for entire colum

  1. #1

    Angry formula for entire colum

    Sorry to have to ask such a basic question, but how do I apply a formula to an entire colum? I want c3=c2+a3-b3, c4=c3+a4-b4, c5=c4+a5-b5, . . .
    From what I read, any formula used 3 out of the last 5 times is suppose to continue. I checked the options and the correct options are checked in the edit pane.

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: formula for entire colum

    If you double-click on the little black square in the lower right hand corner
    of your bottommost cell with the formula in it, it will copy itself down
    column C as far as you have data in column B........

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  3. #3

    Re: formula for entire colum

    Type the formula in the top cell of the range you want (C3?).

    Then use one of the techniques from Debra Dalgleish's site to fill the rest of
    the column:

    http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry01.html
    (I like the mouse version for small number of rows.)

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: formula for entire colum

    Enter =C2+A3 in C3, then select C 3, and go to the bottom right until the
    cursor changes to a dark cross, and drag it down the column.

    Bob Phillips

    "sigfreund" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Dave O
    Guest

    Re: formula for entire colum

    Land the cell pointer on C3 and click >Edit >Copy. Highlight cells C4,
    C5, etc. and click >Edit >Paste. The cell references will change in
    each cell as you paste.

  6. #6
    Doug Kanter
    Guest

    Re: formula for entire colum

    "sigfreund" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

    > Sorry to have to ask such a basic question, but how do I apply a formula
    > to an entire colum? I want c3=c2+a3-b3, c4=c3+a4-b4, c5=c4+a5-b5, . .

    Just copy & paste. Excel will increment the formula for each line.