Formula Showing In A Cell Instead of Proper Result

  1. #1
    DanK
    Guest

    Formula Showing In A Cell Instead of Proper Result

    I typed =IF($Q23="A",$O23,(IF($Q23="W",$O57,""))) into the formula bar. I
    think the formula is valid. Basically, I want the value in cell O23 to show
    if "A" is typed in cell Q23. If a "W" is typed instead, I want the value in
    cell O57 to show. If neither "A" nor "W" is typed, I want nothing to show.
    My problem is that instead of the proper result showing in the cell where
    this formula is located, the formula is showing -- and I can't get rid of the
    formula from showing. I don't know what I did to the format of the cell to
    cause it to show the formula instead of the result.

    I've tried deleting the formula & reentering it. I looked at the OPTIONS
    menu w/o avail. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm getting frustrated.

    I hope this makes sense.

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Formula Showing In A Cell Instead of Proper Result

    Make sure the cell is formatted a general and NOT text

    Peo Sjoblom

    Northwest Excel Solutions

    www.nwexcelsolutions.com

    (remove ^^ from email address)

    Portland, Oregon

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    If your column or cell is formatted as "TEXT" then what is typed will be displayed as "TEXT" and not a formula. Select your cell or column then go to the MENU BAR - Select FORMAT - CELLS - Number tab - then select GENERAL.
    Then try retyping your formula - and you should get the results you want.
    Also make sure the "View Formula" is not selected. You can type "View Formula" in the "HELP" box - and get instructions on how to turn this feature On or Off.