split text in one cell into multiple cells without breaking the wo

  1. #1
    Prashant
    Guest

    split text in one cell into multiple cells without breaking the wo

    I have got a data in a column which i want to split in multiple columns with
    characters lenght fix and no word should i.e. in case the word in getting
    split in two columns due to character length then the complete word should go
    in the next column.

    Sample:
    AL.WAHAT FOR TRDG & MFG OF CHEMICALS & FERTILIZERS AL.WAHAT FOR TRDG & MFG
    OF CHEMICAL S & FERTILIZERS

    this is what output i am getting using Mid function. The 35 characters are
    fixed in column no. 2, 25 characters in column no. 3 and 35 characters in
    cloumn no.4

  2. #2
    Jim Cone
    Guest

    Re: split text in one cell into multiple cells without breaking the wo

    Try using "Text to Columns" on the Data menu.

    Jim Cone
    San Francisco, USA

  3. #3
    Prashant
    Guest

    Re:split text into multiple cells without breaking the word

    I tried using Text to column function but it is not giving me the desired
    result.

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    Gurgaon,India
    MS-Off Ver
    2007,2010,2013
    Hi Prashant,

    Try,

    In B1,

    =LEFT(A1,LOOKUP(9.999E+307,FIND(" ",A1,ROW($A1:$A35))))

    In C1,

    =TRIM(LEFT(SUBSTITUTE(A1,B1,""),LOOKUP(9.999E+307,FIND(" ",TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(A1,B1,""))&" ",ROW($A1:A25)))))

    In D1,

    =TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A1,B1,""),C1,""))

    HTH
    Kris