upper case to lower case

  1. #1

    upper case to lower case

    Hi everyone,

    Got a small problem with excel.
    I need to convert some text from upper case to lower case, easy i hear you say..
    The only problem is that the first letter of each word needs to be upper case.
    i.e TURBO DIESEL needs to be Turbo Diesel, this is just an example there are too many variations to do a simple find and relplace
    Any help would be appreciated

    Thanks
    Andy

  2. #2
    George Gee
    Guest

    Re: upper case to lower case

    If the text that you want to convert is in A1
    enter this in any cell you fancy.
    =PROPER(A1)

    I'll leave the rest to you.

    George Gee

    "andy_" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Have a look at the PROPER function.

    If the all caps text is in A1 put in B1 =PROPER(A1)

  4. #4
    Kevin B
    Guest

    RE: upper case to lower case

    Use the PROPER function to convert text to first letter uppercase text.

    if your text is in column a, insert a column to the right and in B1 enter
    the formula
    =PROPER(A1). Enter the formula and copy it down the column to convert all
    of your uppercase text values in column A.

    Copy all the data in column B, select cell A1 and click EDIT in the menu,
    click PASTE SPECIAL and click the VALUES option button. Delete the formula
    column and you're back in business.

    The companion case convert functions are UPPER() and LOWER(), should you
    have a need to ever do that kind of conversion.
    --
    Kevin Backmann

  5. #5
    great stuff,
    Thanks very much.

  6. #6
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: upper case to lower case

    Hi Andy,
    If you would prefer to do it all in the same text column(s) you would be
    better using a macro, and it would be a lot faster to use
    once you've set up some macros. Then you can select the entire column
    and convert it -- macro should be restricted to the used range and use
    of special cells will limit such selections by definition so that the user
    doesn't have to be concerned with limiting range of selection.
    Proper, and other Text changes -- Use of SpecialCells
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/proper.htm

    You would get more out of newsgroups if you posted directly to newsgroups
    rather than through a web page, and if you searched Google and Google
    Groups before posting. Use of "forums" messes up web searching for
    all users by duplicating what is posted in newsgroups. .
    ---
    HTH,

  7. #7
    David McRitchie