Data too large for Excel, need to query Access data for results

  1. #1
    Susan
    Guest

    Data too large for Excel, need to query Access data for results

    I've got a large database within Excel, and will soon exceed 70,000
    rows. Excel's limit, as we know is 65,536
    Its used to support VLOOKUP and IF functions, and return prices and
    purchasing data for items on another worksheet, which usually contain
    1000 items or less.

    Short of paring down my database, it there a way to keep the data in MS
    Access, and query the lookup answers from within Excel, and have Excel
    just display the correct prices and other data pertinant to that line?

    Sue

  2. #2
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Data too large for Excel, need to query Access data for results

    Pulling data from Access into Excel isn't difficult. Here's a starting point

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295646

    It explains how to pull Access data into Excel using ADO. You don't need to
    do lots of coding if your queries are fairly standardized, and you may find
    it is much faster than having 60,000+ rows in Excel

  3. #3
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Data too large for Excel, need to query Access data for results

    Sue,
    To add to Duke's info: You can get the data into Access quite easily with
    its Import feature.

    Or get Office 12, which apparently extends the rows.count to something like
    1 million.

    NickHK

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Susan

    NickHK wrote:
    > Sue,
    > To add to Duke's info: You can get the data into Access quite easily with
    > its Import feature.
    >
    > Or get Office 12, which apparently extends the rows.count to something like
    > 1 million.
    >
    > NickHK

    Nick, I didn't see a reply from Duke, but I do thank you for the heads
    up on Office 12.

    Susan

  5. #5
    Susan

  6. #6
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Data too large for Excel, need to query Access data for results

    Susan,
    <Duke's comment>
    Pulling data from Access into Excel isn't difficult. Here's a starting point
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295646
    It explains how to pull Access data into Excel using ADO. You don't need to
    do lots of coding if your queries are fairly standardized, and you may find
    it is much faster than having 60,000+ rows in Excel
    </Duke's comment>

  7. #7
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Data too large for Excel, need to query Access data for results

    Susan,
    But bear in mind that your code would then not be compatible with previous
    versions of Excel, ones with rows.count<1 million.

    Nick

  8. #8
    Hi Nick - I read the article in the microsoft knowledge base you submitted and I was wondering if you could help me with a similar question.

    I'm trying to do the same thing as Sue but the otherway round. I have a data list in Excel which is added to every now and then. I'd like to automate the transfer of this list into an access table from where I run some reports.

    I don't mind if this is an append everytime a few lines is added or a complete transfer of all the lines once every now and then.

    Appreciate any advice in this regard.
    Cheers

  9. #9
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Data too large for Excel, need to query Access data for results

    skuzapo,
    Why not just link your Excel file to Access; File > Get External Data > Link
    Tables.
    Then you can base your report on a query that includes only the new records,
    however you decide that.

    NickHK

    "skuzapo" <[email protected]> wrote in

  10. #10
    Susan

    NickHK wrote:
    > Susan,
    > <Duke's comment>
    > Pulling data from Access into Excel isn't difficult. Here's a starting point
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295646
    > It explains how to pull Access data into Excel using ADO. You don't need to
    > do lots of coding if your queries are fairly standardized, and you may find
    > it is much faster than having 60,000+ rows in Excel
    > </Duke's comment>
    >
    > NickHK

    Nick, seeing that I'm using Excel 2003, I went here

    Followed it to the letter, clicked on the button, and got no responsen
    and Excel was non-responsive..
    Question: I paste the code on the userform view code, after any
    existing code, which was 2 lines identifying the button?

    TIA for any leads.

    Susan