multiple rows and column, chart into 1 series?

  1. #1

    multiple rows and column, chart into 1 series?

    Hi,
    I have a table of data let say 10 rows and 50 columns, total 500 data points.
    I would like to chart all 500 points into a single continuous series.
    But i keep getting 10 series each have 50 data points.

    Thanks in advance,
    Zawa

  2. #2
    bj
    Guest

    RE: multiple rows and column, chart into 1 series?

    click at the end of the "y" entry and enter a comma and select the second
    row data, enter another comma, and contiue for the 10 rows. hit enter and
    they should be one series.

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: multiple rows and column, chart into 1 series?

    The obvious answer is to put the numbers into a single column.

    Setting up your data properly eliminates 99% of the difficulties people have
    with Excel charts.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services - Tutorials and Custom Solutions -
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    2006 Excel User Conference, 19-21 April, Atlantic City, NJ
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ExcelUserConf06.html
    _______

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    bj,
    I try that and I could not get more than 13 rows in there. There is a character limit for "y"

    Jon,
    The data is from another department and they want to keep in seperate row/column for another purpose.

    I might have to manually copy and paste into one column. there are a lot of sheets I have to do it on, cause they have a lot of data history.

    Is there a command or macro where I could run and just copy and past many columns into one column?

  5. #5
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: multiple rows and column, chart into 1 series?

    Are they requiring you to do something with the information? Or are you
    requesting the data from them. If it's the former, I'd get them to format it
    a little more appropriately. Which might be like pulling teeth... I'm a big
    proponent of keeping the main data in a flat database kind of format, and if
    you need a special layout for screen display, or printing, or charting, or
    whatever, then you link your specially formatted sheet to the main data
    table.

    Probably you could cobble together a macro to take their ugly format and fix
    it up, but it would be different from one that I would need for someone
    else's data.

    - Jon
    -------

  6. #6
    I found a quick way to get all data into one column, instead of copying and paste.

    Using excel analysis tool (if there is no Data Analysis, go to help and install this tool set)

    Tool - Data Analysis - Sampling

    select input range, sampling period 1, output option.