incrementing account numbers

  1. #1
    John
    Guest

    incrementing account numbers

    Hi,

    I'm having a lot of issues here understanding how to use a the macro's with
    an Excel 2003 workbook.

    The scenario is to create an invoice and each must have a different invoice
    number which will be incremented by 1 each time I use the workbook. I'll
    actually want to save-as the workbook to a new one per invoice.

    I spent the afternoon reading threads and trying out various macro's and got
    myself totally lost. In the end I deleated the workbook which had about 10
    different macro's in it. I'd like to just start all over from scratch. The
    invoice itself isn't complicated and can be drawn up in 10 minutes, it is
    just increasing the invoice number that I have trouble with.

    I'd like to know why MS didn't just include this.. it has everything else.

  2. #2

    Increase number

    John,

    Someone had the same problem yesterday, and I offered this solution. She needed a step-by-step, so I'll paste that in.

    Edit the macro to fit your needs as follows:

    1. Replace "whicheversheet" with the name of your worksheet.
    2. Replace "Cells(1,1)" (both instances) with whatever address you want to use on your worksheet to count. The first number is the row, the second is the column. In my case, it references A1.
    3. Open MS VB Editor. (Tools>Macros>Visual Basic Editor)
    4. Click Insert>Module
    5. Copy and paste the macro in the module (edit as stated above if you haven't already) and close VB Editor.
    6. Save the workbook, close it and open it again. Each time you close, be sure to save and whenever you open it, the referenced cell value will increase by one.

    Let me know how yah did!

    Kevin

    =======edit the macro!!============

    Sub Auto_Open()
    Sheets("whicheversheet").select
    Cells(1, 1).Value = Cells(1, 1).Value + 1
    End Sub

    =====end copy====================

    Quote Originally Posted by John

  3. #3
    L. Howard Kittle
    Guest

    Re: incrementing account numbers

    Hi John,

    Have a look here, J.E. has it figured out quite nicely.

    http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/sequentialnums.html

    Howard

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    John
    Guest

    Re: incrementing account numbers

    Thanks

    It seems to try and work, but I'm getting a message saying that macro's are
    disabled because of a high security level and I can either lower it or
    request that macros be digitally signed... What security? In excel or a
    firewall or what?

    Also, I forgot to meantion that in another cell the invoice number has to
    appear. The cells are E 1 and E 19. Do I have to make two macro's?

    John

  5. #5
    John

  6. #6

    Macro Security

    To enable macros:

    Tools>Macro>Security

    In Security Level Tab, set to Medium.

    For the second cell. Just add the other cell in the macro:

    Sub Auto_Open()
    Sheets("whicheversheet").select
    Cells(1, 5).Value = Cells(1, 5).Value + 1
    Cells(19, 5).Value = Cells(19, 5).Value + 1
    End Sub
    Last edited by kevindmorgan; 03-10-2006 at 10:32 AM.

  7. #7
    John
    Guest

    Re: incrementing account numbers

    Thanks for the help. The security issue that I had was in Excel, I did a
    search using the Office Assistant. Sorry for no immediate reply, I just
    needed to get away from looking at office for the rest of the night.

    John.