  1. #1
    Justin Philips

    I don't know if this is possible but I was hoping it is. I am trying
    to make a loading status bar appear while my data is being saved in
    access. With large queries it sometimes takes a while and I want the
    user to know that it is ben exported. Does anyone know of a way to
    have a status bar with the percentage complete appear while the
    exporting is taking place? Does this make sense?

    -Justin

  2. #2

    alternate solution

    I don't know about the progress bar, but when I have this situation, I put a message box in letting the user know that it will take a while.

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Philips

  3. #3
    darlove
    Guest

    Re: Loading Bar

    Justin Philips wrote:
    > I don't know if this is possible but I was hoping it is. I am trying
    > to make a loading status bar appear while my data is being saved in
    > access. [...]

    Hi,

    take a look at 'Microsoft Excel 2000 Power Programming with VBA' by
    John Walkenbach or its later versions by the same author (you can find
    it on the Web as a pdf file ;-). He gives very cute pieces of code that
    will do all the black work for you and you will be - I promise - very,
    very happy with the final product you'll arrive at. You'll get a very
    professional-looking loading status bar (fully customizable, of
    course). I would give you the code but unfortunatelly it requires to
    build a (very simple, indeed) form, so it would take too much to
    explain in here.

    Kind regards
    Darlove

  4. #4
    Ken McLennan
    Guest

    Re: Loading Bar

    G'day there Justin, Darlove, and all others,

    > take a look at 'Microsoft Excel 2000 Power Programming with VBA' by
    > John Walkenbach or its later versions by the same author (you can find
    > it on the Web as a pdf file ;-). He gives very cute pieces of code that
    > will do all the black work for you and you will be - I promise - very,
    > very happy with the final product you'll arrive at. You'll get a very
    > professional-looking loading status bar (fully customizable, of
    > course). I would give you the code but unfortunatelly it requires to
    > build a (very simple, indeed) form, so it would take too much to
    > explain in here.

    I can thoroughly recommend John Walkenbach's books. I have the
    2003 iteration of the above title right here alongside me atop a dead
    'pooter case. It's a well worn tome.

    Be that as it may, the above is 100% correct. The code provided is
    spot on, extremely simple to adapt to requirements and works marvelously
    well. My last project included a simple call to the appropriate
    subroutine as my main loop progressed. The provided me with a very
    professional looking progress bar that did all the right things. Quite
    impressed I was. I'm now awaiting the world wide acclaim I believe I'm
    entitled to in the category of "Magnificent Use of Code Written by
    Someone Who Knows Far More About the Subject Than I Do".

    It will probably be the easiest and most efficient way to get a
    progress bar that you will find anywhere.

    See ya
    Ken McLennan
    Qld, Australia

  5. #5
    Justin Philips
    Guest

    Re: Loading Bar

    hey all,

    thanks for the help...does anyone know where i can find an online
    version of this...i've been searching but to no avail...is it only
    available as a hardcopy.

    -Justin

  6. #6
    darlove
    Guest

    Re: Loading Bar

    Hi again,

    Well, perhaps there is somewhere on the Web, on some page, a pdf
    version of the book... but
    I doubt it for reasons you should have already guessed ;-) What I'd
    suggest is that you get yourself a copy of
    eMule or eDonkey and... dive into the marvellous world of free pdf
    files and many, many more Of course, such books like this one are
    NOT AVAILABLE on-line unless there is an option of pay-and-download.
    But there is no such
    option this time, unfortunately, simply because such a book is too
    valuable and the author, hats off before him!, has
    to get his money for the indeed hard work he's done.

    Darlove