Vlookup problem..

  1. #1

    Vlookup problem..

    Hello I have a slight problem creating a vlookup, I've done a list of Hotels and beside that cell i want to create a Vlookup

    basically I'm trying to do that following:

    I a drop down list with the following hotels:

    Hotel *
    Hotel **
    Hotel ***
    Hotel ****

    and then beside that drop down list cell, i have a vlookup which is like this

    =VLOOKUP(A1,M20:N27,2,false)

    But obviously it doesnt work since excel doesnt recognise the * it only recognises the name which is hotel and since they are all the same it displays the same price which that isnt the case in my list of Hotels and prices...how can i deal with this problem...could i use another sort of star or....?

    Thanks for your time
    From John

  2. #2
    Gizmo63
    Guest

    RE: Vlookup problem..

    Hi,

    Your simplest solution is to use a modified list, say -
    Hotel 1*
    Hotel 2*
    Hotel 3* etc

    If you have to use the ** or *** or **** in output I'd be inclined to do a
    little jiggery pokery at the output stage to to convert the 3 to ***.

    hth

    Giz

  3. #3
    Yea true i could do it that way, so there isnt any way if I had the stars alone? it would involve programming i guess?

    Thanks
    From John

  4. #4
    Gizmo63
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup problem..

    TBH there may be a complicated way. As mentioned, I'd just tweak the output
    cell so wherever the selection was reported could read:

    ="Hotel "&CHOOSE(MID(A3,7,1),"*","**","***","****","*****","ERROR")

    Where A3 is the referencing cell, the "ERROR" is just an overflow trap I
    always use with 'CHOOSE'.

    Giz

  5. #5
    Sorry I'm completely lost in the Choose what you did there...what do you mean?

    Thanks a lot
    From John

  6. #6
    Gizmo63
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup problem..

    From your original post the constant part of the value will be "Hotel".
    A3 is the cell I've used as containing the output from the dropdown (i.e.
    "Hotel 3*"
    From the suggested way of showing the star rating the 7th character will be
    the number representing the 'stars'.
    I've extracted the 7th character - mid(a3,7,1) and used this as the index
    for the CHOOSE function. In the above example the 7th character is 3, so the
    3rd CHOOSE option is used in the text join so the final expression will be
    "Hotel ***"
    If the index is greater than the number of options in the CHOOSE statement
    it returns the last value, so my own habit is to add "ERROR" into most CHOOSE
    statements to indicate an overflow. So should you end up (somehow?!?) with
    "Hotel 6*" the final output would be "Hotel ERROR". If you need more help
    with CHOOSE check out the Excel Help file.

    With a little work you can make it more flexible so instead of just showing
    "Hotel ***" you could use the actual hotel names.

    hth

    Giz